OK Experts - Dinoflagellates or Diatoms (Photo)

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I have seen Chamaesiphon is a freshwater cyanobacterium which lives in streams while Licmophora is a marine diatom. So besides color and no visible spore formation on Dana´s image the environment is indicative for Licmophora.

I am looking forward to your results, Dana.:)

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me clarify a previous statement - I've never had to deal with a diatom/dinoflagellate outbreak during the *startup* of a tank. There was an outbreak of something after using only blue light. "Muffle furnace" is the correct term for the broken lab oven. Whatever the name, I might be able to use the kitchen oven at full temperature. Our secret, my significant other really doesn't need to know.;)

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally unpacked my copy of Sprung's "Algae - A Problem Solver Guide" and it has diatom photos that closely match those in my tank. He IDed them as Licmophora. Thanks again for all your comments!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally unpacked my copy of Sprung's "Algae - A Problem Solver Guide" and it has diatom photos that closely match those in my tank. He IDed them as Licmophora. Thanks again for all your comments!
I'll be be book shopping for the Xmas list now!

Very cool.

LynzieS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this thread is a bit old but I have the exact same thing with a newish tank and was wondering what you did and if it worked?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I take a pic of of any type of microscope? Some people said a kids type that are 15 bucks or do I need a higher grade one? I am scared to wait for the delivery then posting the pic and all so wondering if I should just start the treatment plan that elegant corals uses and was a guest speaker on reef dudes channel. It involves bubble scrubbing and 2 forms of bacteria. One a denitrifying and the other a sludge buster or big mouth he called it and said that nothing replaced Dr Tims waste away but could substitute the other but recommended one and only. Also peroxide dosing and carbon dosing.

He said treats dinos and cyano bacteria. Is anyone familiar wit h this method? Whatever mine is came on after dosing nopox and already had and imbalance of nutrients. I used gfo so no4 was always low and nitrates upped after I added way to many frags to a 5 month old fragsless system. After first water change when no4 dropped to 3 and po4 dropped to zero Is when It got bad. Cleaned almost all of it off and thought I would be okay and did another water change and went nuts but looks like diatoms on sand and walls. Only time it is snotty is when I vacuum it up it clumps together. Its been 2 hours since I started the coffee filter test and so far not clumping. Unless I cant see because it clear looking. The greenish brownish hasnt returned. Is there any other test? It may be clumped but cant tell because its clear! When its on the sand looks like a sprinkle of greenish brown but when I vacum it sand will stick to it like its snotty!

What else gets bad after water changes though? Does diatoms? I dont have bubble attached but towards the end of photo period bubbles attach to glass in certain area that have some algae on it. I was leaving it alone and letting it grow to see if it would get stringy and bubbles would attach but over a week and some fine hairs popping up but no bubbles. Just wondering if I should start the program to save time. I cant do water changes and alk is dropping but very irregularly, so hard to dial in a daily dose. Its just so random!

I am also double dosing neophos and still 0 says my salifert kit. If I check before 24 hours I do get some phosphates after dosing. I iwll try to attach my pics, but cant see much , just looks like diatoms but very heavy on glass with bubbles on some areas. Thanks

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back