OK, here we go! 16 Gallon biocube

garye5007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, first post after meet and greet.
I've settled on a 16 Gallon Biocube LED and just have the tank, stand, water jugs, Manufactured rock and live sand. I have been doing my homework and still have plenty to learn so here are my first questions.

Items I still need... please let me know if I'm off base, what I'm missing and any recommendations you may have.
Refractometer or hydrometer
salt (recommendations welcome)
heater
filter media (tips for a good way to set up my filter area would be great!)
test kit... should I get specific tests or buy the whole shebang? I know I will need it all eventually.
A gravel vacuum, buckets and hose for water changes.
I understand that it takes several weeks to get the tank cycled.
I plan to have 2-3 fish, a shrimp and some CUC once there is something to clean up to start.
I expect to move to some soft corals in time.
I don't have unlimited funds but I'm a working stiff and can handle moderate expense (the best of the best can be quite expensive but I know, you do get what you pay for.) I can get additional items as time progresses. I would like to begin the cycling sometime soon.
Please be patient with my beginner questions!
Thank you, Gary

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary - start looking in the Marketplace and other used equipment forums. You can buy some excellent used stuff at good prices.

Always ask seller the condition, age, bought new or used, and why selling. Ideally looking for person moving up to larger aquarium or getting out of hobby.

hworner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodluck and welcome! Excited to follow this tank! One thing you should look into is getting a rodi filtration system to use for your mixing water!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back