What I need to know about creating a mixed reef

jlcollins96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank its cycled and ready for coral. Its a 32 biocube. I need to know how I know what coral can be placed near each other. Everything I have seen says to be careful because they can go to war with each other. Please help!!!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a general rule only corals of the same species can touch, and even then it's not a sure thing. . . I am sure there are exceptions, in-fact certain euphyllia are known to cohabitate well, though not uniformly across the genus or even amongst different localities (collection/origin locality.) Your best bet is to give all your corals enough space and or diligently research them to see which ones can safely cohabitate (keep in mind this is excluding the fact that corals can grow over the top of each other and shade each other out separate of any actual stinging/warfare.)

Probably worth noting a lot of the info you find will be anecdotal (much like the "evidence" I used to inform my above post ^^^ haha)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jlcollins96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I was more trying to get info like, where to put encrusting lps so that it’s not going to attack my euphyllia or Duncan’s or other encrusting. Is it just place it and winner takes all?

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my experiences with different coral

A mistake I made with my first coral (red monti) was put it at the top of the aquscape. It grew and shaded everything underneath it

Mushroom corals and euphylia can have quite a large reach on stings

Finally - anemones and fungia can move so they will just 'walk'around and fight which can be annoying

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Biocube can give you an idea. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.
00150377-FAA2-4C5D-BA4A-437B265C84E2.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back