Ok it’s about time to start stocking my tank what’s the best food to have on hand.

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be adding fish to my setup . Have the quarantine tank ,meds. No what are some foods to have on hand to help get the new fish to start eating . I have found a source for live black worms what else do you guys suggest

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food will depend on inhabitants. for example, tankbred clownfish diet is very different than a wild caught pipefish. That said, with my mixed reef and "easy reef" fish, i always have frozen misis on hand, as well as a monthly container of live plankton in my fridge.

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am looking for a Naso Tang , yellow mimic tang , a rusty or flame angel

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be adding fish to my setup . Have the quarantine tank ,meds. No what are some foods to have on hand to help get the new fish to start eating . I have found a source for live black worms what else do you guys suggest

Frozen LRS Reef Frenzy is a good all around food as it has a wide variety of things in one food source and it is arguably the cleanest food source (short of you catching it straight from the ocean and prepping it yourself) for your fish, corals and inverts and is one of the most successful foods to get picky fish to eat. That said, you are looking at a bunch of fish that will need more green in their diet. Frozen Spirulina Formula will work as a supplement to Reef Frenzy. Keep in mind that in general the dried food sources are generally the dirtiest for your tank and will make your nitrates build up faster. Also how big is your tank and are you doing corals?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis shrimp is always a good food to get fish to start to eat, as are black worms. With tangs, you'll also want to supply nori every day. I actually buy nori from my local oriental market and cut and fold to fit my algae clip.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And be patient with the tangs while you train them to eat off the clip! It took my tomini about a month before he figured it out...

I make my own mix of LRS reef frenzy, PE mysis and calanus, nutramar ova, and a squirt of oyster feast all mixed together. This provides a wide source of nutrition on a regular basis and is suitable for anthias all the way to tangs and corals. I also feed live black worms on a regular basis, initially for my copperband but now everyone is hooked on that drug!

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start to get a mix of Those foods. Since there are no more LFS near me I have to order it all in . I just want to have the food and meds on hand before I get the fish . I have two tanks a 140 cube that’s 42 x 32 x 24 and a 125 . At the moment I have no coral in the tanks . I want to get all the fish I want and get them qt and healthy. Then I will start my coral stocking . I will be doing mostly SPS with a few lps my wife likes .

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you are cycled and running for a month or so, consider placing an order or two with Algae Barn for copepods to help seed the tank. They function as your smallest cleanup crew and also as a food source for fish!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start to get a mix of Those foods. Since there are no more LFS near me I have to order it all in . I just want to have the food and meds on hand before I get the fish . I have two tanks a 140 cube that’s 42 x 32 x 24 and a 125 . At the moment I have no coral in the tanks . I want to get all the fish I want and get them qt and healthy. Then I will start my coral stocking . I will be doing mostly SPS with a few lps my wife likes .

Just be aware that the Angels you mentioned are prone to nipping at corals and the flame angel tends to lean towards the aggressive side (Mine was a butthead before I got rid of him).

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank had been up for almost a year . I have plenty of micro and a load of pods all in the tank an in fuge. I have some fish in there already these are just going to be the last few I put in

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a fuge, you also might consider growing some red macro algae and periodically supplement a small piece to your tangs diet. I do this for my strawberry crab when the algae in the display tank runs low and its usually gone in a day or two.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back