Stocking after cycle

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am aware of adding fish as slow as possible once cycling is complete but wondering what your thoughts are.

How much of your “stocking” can you put into your tank after a cycle, or can you cycle with higher ammonia say 3 or 4ppm to achieve a higher biological filtration? I have a a quarantined order for 75% of my stocking that is being held for me but do not want to overload the system.

Any thoughts or ideas would help, I do not have room for a QT setup as to why I pay for quarantined fish so I can not hold them in a second tank.

Thanks

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, what has worked for me - I wouldn't add more than 1 fish at a time (or 2 if it's a paired couple..) at a time to a newly cycled tank, and space out additions by 2 weeks. Just my 2 cents.
Yea. Thats what my fear was as I know this is the usual recommendation. Me not thinking got finger happy and ordered more than I should have lol so now trying to figure out a way to manage.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. Thats what my fear was as I know this is the usual recommendation. Me not thinking got finger happy and ordered more than I should have lol so now trying to figure out a way to manage.
what was your cycling method? If possible, you could add real ocean live rock or live rock from a clean, mature system to bolster your biological filter and hopefully allow addition of more fish at once. Even with this method, you will need to monitor ammonia closely and ideally have bacterial supplements and ammonia detoxification additives on hand to protect your fish while your biolfilter establishes. All that being said, I'd still recommend you add them slowly, because adding a lot of fish at once to a new tank is likely a recipe for death of some or all of the livestock.

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was your cycling method? If possible, you could add real ocean live rock or live rock from a clean, mature system to bolster your biological filter and hopefully allow addition of more fish at once. Even with this method, you will need to monitor ammonia closely and ideally have bacterial supplements and ammonia detoxification additives on hand to protect your fish while your biolfilter establishes. All that being said, I'd still recommend you add them slowly, because adding a lot of fish at once to a new tank is likely a recipe for death of some or all of the livestock.
Usually it’s dose to 2ppm using ammonia chloride and just wait it out, I’ve dosed Dr Tim’s etc in the past but still waited a good 30 days or so, so I don’t know if the bottled bac has any help in my experience.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the water volume of tank and display? What fishes will you add?

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the water volume of tank and display? What fishes will you add?
Display is 75g and total volume with sump I’d estimate about 75-80g when counting for sand and about 40 pounds dry rock.

Yellow fox face and 4 wrasses are quarantined and ready to go.

I may see if I can push back delivery a bit to build up a more established filtration or see if I could split the shipments up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back