Ok stock list for my reef ?

zep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently switch to reef currentyl have a few chromis in the tank would this stock list cause any issues for me?

6 Hawiian Fancy Bicolor Anthias
1 Bi Colour Blenny
1 Dragonnette (Mandarin Goby)
2 Yellow Tangs
2 Bi-Colour Angel
2 percula clown
1 royal gramma

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your tank size, 2 yellow tangs may be too much. If you have a large enough tank, I would go for 3 YT's. The Mandarin goby is always a colorful choice. Make sure you have enough of a pod population to sustain it. I am not completely up to par on the anthias, however I do know that some are difficult to keep. The angels will be a crap shoot on whether or not they pick at corals. I have a coral beauty in my 80G reef, and it is a model citizen. All in all, nice choices with plenty of colors.

Jer77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st: Need to know your TANK SIZE
2nd: Consideration must be taken on stocking order
My Opinions:
1. Bi-Color Angels can annoy corals, they have a bossy/territorial behavior, & adding more than one may cause them to fight. They are strikingly handsome, but most aquarists I've talked to eventually regret the purchase. Coral Beauty's are usually more passive. This should be a consideration if you plan to add most anthias.

Jer77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry clicked the post button by accident...
Opinions cont:
2. Mandarins are very hard to keep and most will starve without expert care. They are usually already famished after collection and importation. Even if it is seen eating it doesn't mean it will survive. They require a unusually large constant supply of food to maintain their metabolism. A separate species-specific tank is usually the only way to keep them for more than 6-12 months.
3. Royal Gramma are a nice choice but also may compete for food with a mandarin
4. Bi-Color Blennies are pretty passive and hide a lot but need algae(my blenny eats my green hair algae) because it probably won't eat shrimp, flake or pellets for carnivores/omnivores
5. Yellow Tangs need a 5'-6' long tank IMO. A Kole Tang will do OK in a 90g+. Any other tangs really need 180g+. I just had to find a larger tank for my Blue Tang who overgrew my 120g.
6. Percula Clowns should do fine with any of these fish

Depending on tank size, I would add the Anthias first, trying to get one male and the rest female. Wait a little and add clowns, blenny or basslet one at a time. Then once everyone is settled and feeding good, add the tang(s), then an angel. Just remember after adding a large tang or angel they will establish their territory and make adding any other fish less aggressive much more difficult, unless you have a large tank 180g+.

Have fun!

ShannPeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. Bi-Color Blennies are pretty passive and hide a lot but need algae(my blenny eats my green hair algae) because it probably won't eat shrimp, flake or pellets for carnivores/omnivores

I agree with the hide a lot, but my bicolor isn't what I would call passive as he will fight with my clowns who have a territory that butts up against his. Mine doesn't seem to pick at algae, but does scarf down flakes and pellets, some of which are developed for carnivores and omnivores, and some of which are more algal based. With any fish, I think its key to try to incorporate a variety of foods to make sure they are getting all the things they need.

I would also wait a bit to add the blenny. After my tank move, my blenny had the most difficult time sustaining a healthy weight, and didn't look healthy in general until the microfauna really boosted up...and this was even while he was mowing down on the foods I put in (2x or more a day)...so I feel there is something else that he needed that he was only getting from the tank being more established. As these fish are likely to be added last, you should definitely think long and hard about whether you truly want to have them before you purchase.

For the larger fish, it will be hard for anyone to give specific advice without knowing your tank size...in gallons and in tank dimensions. Tangs need a lot of swimming room, i.e. length, so a 90 gallon cube would not be ideal, although you could call it a "big" tank. I second Jer77's comments about the tangs and bicolor angels. I'm a fan of angels, and some don't pick at corals and are fine as long as you feed them enough, but two of any angel is a delicate process that involves careful planning and pairing, and a removal strategy...not always easy from a display tank.

How many chromis do you already have? Your stocking list has 15 fish to be added...that could potentially be a very high bioload depending on what size tank you have...and if your hope is a mixed reef with SPS, you may need to cut back a bit on the fish to maintain higher water quality.

Keep us posted with what you end up doing :)

OP
OP
Z

zep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, the tank in question is 4x2x2 summped tank the volum is abbout 130 imperial gallons . The tnaks has been running for 12 months plus and used to house my SnS puffer and zebera morray and is set up for the bio loads produced by such big fish.

i only intende to place 1 bi colour angle in there not 2 and i currently only have 3 chromis though i was looking at geting an additional 3.

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put more than 1 yellow tang in a 120 gallon tank. I moved recently, and had to put several tangs temporarily into my 120. While they did not kill each other, it was obvious they needed more room. I have also had chromis. For the most part, they got along, although from time to time I would see them being aggressive with one another. The angel will be iffy as it may nip at coral. Just keep in mind, once a fish goes in, it is extremely difficult to remove it should it misbehave.

Jarettc16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like to many fish in my opinion. Remember this is reef tank u are suppsoly running
by the way im new to website. how can i create my own post

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back