Ok to cut Sch 40 bulkhead?

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the schedule 40 bulkheads are a 1/8"-1/4" too long for a perfect 90 degree drop through a hole in the stand. I have the bulkhead coming out of my tank, immediately into a 90 degree elbow down. However, the hole in the stand is a bit more ~1/4in "inward" than the pipe coming out of the 90 elbow.

So my options are to slightly torque the pvc pipe (~4-5 ft) dropping out of the 90 elbow so that it 'kicks in' a couple of degrees, or to cut the threaded side of the bulkhead to trim a 1/2" off of its length

Other than potentially screwing up the threads, any downside to cutting the bulkhead so that it's shorter? Or should I just slightly torque the PVC?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the answer is yes, I have not done it myself, but i have read of others doing it. That said would using a "street" 90 solve the issue as they are a bit shorter? and or could the bulk head be installed "backwards" without issue?

Another options would be using a barrel sanding bit (think that's what it's called) on a drill and widen the hole in the stand.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer is yes, I have not done it myself, but i have read of others doing it. That said would using a "street" 90 solve the issue as they are a bit shorter? and or could the bulk head be installed "backwards" without issue?

Another options would be using a barrel sanding bit (think that's what it's called) on a drill and widen the hole in the stand.
Ah man!! You are TOTALLY right !!

I forgot about the street elbow!! Just need to not sink it all the way down and leave 1/4" out.

This forum is so indispensable :)

Back