Ok to do second round of Kanaplex?

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a purple firefish (~3"), pink spotted goby (~3.5-4") carpenters wrasse (~3"), and a starry blenny (~1.5-2") in a QT. I treated with Kanaplex about 3 or 4 weeks ago for an injury to the firefish that turned into what appeared to be a bacterial infection. It worked but it looks like the same thing has happened and I wanted to know if it is ok to dose Kanaplex again. Also, I have a sponge filter and a HOB filter with carbon. Can I just shut off the hang on back for the treatment period or is my bioload to big? It is a 20 gal QT.

Thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a purple firefish (~3"), pink spotted goby (~3.5-4") carpenters wrasse (~3"), and a starry blenny (~1.5-2") in a QT. I treated with Kanaplex about 3 or 4 weeks ago for an injury to the firefish that turned into what appeared to be a bacterial infection. It worked but it looks like the same thing has happened and I wanted to know if it is ok to dose Kanaplex again. Also, I have a sponge filter and a HOB filter with carbon. Can I just shut off the hang on back for the treatment period or is my bioload to big? It is a 20 gal QT.

Thanks!
I wouldn't shut off the HOB filter, but I would pull the carbon out.

Is this a new injury or the same one?

A concern with many medications is that they become less effective with repeated doses. Not only do you risk developing resistant strains but you can actually grow bacteria that will consume the medications before they become effective.

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't shut off the HOB filter, but I would pull the carbon out.

Is this a new injury or the same one?

A concern with many medications is that they become less effective with repeated doses. Not only do you risk developing resistant strains but you can actually grow bacteria that will consume the medications before they become effective.

I think it is a new injury but I believe that the goby is responsible for both because it is in the same spot and about the size of the goby's mouth. I have only done 1 full round of Kanaplex which was about a month ago so would it be alright to do it again?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a new injury but I believe that the goby is responsible for both because it is in the same spot and about the size of the goby's mouth. I have only done 1 full round of Kanaplex which was about a month ago so would it be alright to do it again?
I think it would be ok to do again.

Any chance you can post a picture of the injury?
@Humblefish @melypr1985

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be ok to do again.

Any chance you can post a picture of the injury?
@Humblefish @melypr1985

IMG_4956.JPG
IMG_4956.JPG

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! Poor guy. Can you separate them? Either a divider or another QT?

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have another QT and a divider would be hard because they all like and use all of the swimming room.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use kanaplex again, but obviously it wasn't able to knock out the infection completely. I would add furan2 to the kanaplex this time around.

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use kanaplex again, but obviously it wasn't able to knock out the infection completely. I would add furan2 to the kanaplex this time around.

How should I do both if the directions are different? The furan-2 says to dose, then again 24 hours later, then water change 24 hours later, and repeat a second time. The Kanaplex says to dose every 48 hours for up to 3 treatments. Will doing the water changes for the furan-2 screw up the effectiveness of the kanaplex since I would be doing them simultaneously?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I do both if the directions are different? The furan-2 says to dose, then again 24 hours later, then water change 24 hours later, and repeat a second time. The Kanaplex says to dose every 48 hours for up to 3 treatments. Will doing the water changes for the furan-2 screw up the effectiveness of the kanaplex since I would be doing them simultaneously?

dose both at the same time, do a water change 48 hours later and dose again. You'll follow the every two days water changing and dosing for a minimum of ten days... though it could take a bit longer to fully heal the infection.

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dose both at the same time, do a water change 48 hours later and dose again. You'll follow the every two days water changing and dosing for a minimum of ten days... though it could take a bit longer to fully heal the infection.

Should I still do it for 10 days even though the kanaplex says a maximum of 3 doses (6 days) and the furan-2 says 4 doses (4 days)?

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 10 days with both.

Due to a scheduling issue that just occurred, I may be unable to perform the necessary water changes for the furan-2 this week. If I can't do the water changes, is it safe to do the kanaplex once every 48 hours for 10 days without doing a water change until the end? Before, I only did the 3 day Kanaplex treatment that the instructions said so perhaps 10 days of just Kanaplex would do the trick?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to a scheduling issue that just occurred, I may be unable to perform the necessary water changes for the furan-2 this week. If I can't do the water changes, is it safe to do the kanaplex once every 48 hours for 10 days without doing a water change until the end? Before, I only did the 3 day Kanaplex treatment that the instructions said so perhaps 10 days of just Kanaplex would do the trick?

You can try just Kanaplex, but I would still do a WC at around the halfway point of the 10 days.

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try just Kanaplex, but I would still do a WC at around the halfway point of the 10 days.

How does this sound:

Day 1- dose Kanaplex
Day 2- nothing
Day 3- dose Kanaplex
Day 4- nothing
Day 5- dose Kanaplex
Day 6- nothing
Day 7- water change, dose Kanaplex
Day 8- nothing
Day 9- dose Kanaplex
Day 10- nothing
Day 11- water change

Thanks again for your help Humblefish and everyone else, I really appreciate it! I have finals coming up and some family stuff and on top of that I'm kind of novice in the saltwater world so I'm very thankful for everyone's input during this hectic time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aspiring Tank Guru That schedule works, but if you don't start seeing improvement soon I would consider adding in Furan-2 & Metroplex.

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aspiring Tank Guru That schedule works, but if you don't start seeing improvement soon I would consider adding in Furan-2 & Metroplex.

Hey so just a quick update, I just did the 3rd dose of Kanaplex on Saturday and the firefish is looking better. I will continue to treat for the 10 days but I did have one question. Just for my own knowledge, what is the reason for treating for 10 days even though the instructions say 6 days? Is it due to the life cycle of various bacteria? I was just wondering so that I know what I am dealing with.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so just a quick update, I just did the 3rd dose of Kanaplex on Saturday and the firefish is looking better. I will continue to treat for the 10 days but I did have one question. Just for my own knowledge, what is the reason for treating for 10 days even though the instructions say 6 days? Is it due to the life cycle of various bacteria? I was just wondering so that I know what I am dealing with.

It's like when you get prescribed antibiotics from the doctor. You have to take them all even if you start feeling better before they are all gone right? You want the antibiotics to be in the water and in the fish's system long enough to completely eradicate the bacteria that is causing problems. If you stop them too soon, then bacteria would only be weakened and can come back full force afterward. If this is done repeatedly the bacteria can become resistant to the med as well which would cause a whole other set of problems.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 days is a standard treatment for any creature receiving antibiotics. The directions state that for "severe" infections you can run two treatments back to back, which would actually be 12 days.

I think in our case we just err on the side of caution, rather than treat the lesser period and have infections come back with a vengeance afterward.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with the two ladies above. 10 days is a happy medium for treating most bacterial infections. Some actually require a little longer, some you could get by with a few days less. But unless you know the exact bacterium your fish is being afflicted by, best to err on the side of caution and treat for a minimum of 10 days.

Back