Ok, you all win! Gulf rock is on its way, now what?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going through issue after issue, and applying every possible cure, I talked with my wife, and instead of breaking down the tank, we ordered 20lbs of premium live gulf rock.

Believe it or not, this was taken today AFTER a half hour of cleaning and a calcium carbonate treatment. The GHA had clogged the rear sump and forced an ATO dump which I was lucky enought to be standing next to when it happened.

1000006457.jpg

There were large mats of cyano on every surface, including the GHA itself. These took over after beating dinos and a couple other "uglies".

Right now the plan is to remove the fish, then rock and sand, replacing it with the new when it arrives. I'm not going to qt the rock, just inspect and place, dealing with undesirables as needed.

Does anyone have some advice about something I may have missed? Can you tell me how to get the flow right in this friggin tank, or how to scape the 20lbs of fist sized rock? I'm seriously considering the old school "back wall slope" because no matter how I position the islands or Neros, I still end up with massive dead spots everywhere.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you maintain as parameters and what flux typically in a day?

Instability favours that pest stuff.
I don't test daily. I auto feed heavily for nutrients and aim for 10N/0.1P. The rest is handled with balling hybrid and stays pretty stable week to week. If things start to climb I skim more and add a little gfo to the reactor.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't test daily. I auto feed heavily for nutrients and aim for 10N/0.1P. The rest is handled with balling hybrid and stays pretty stable week to week. If things start to climb I skim more and add a little gfo to the reactor.
I see that only when water chemistry is quite unstable, but if your on the mark at all times, I have no idea why pest algae’s and bacteria flourish in that environment.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That same issue will happen with the live rock. I would do some reading / searching. Dino’s/cyano/GHA will all take over the live rock as well.

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just chime in that if your aiming for 10N and .01P AND you have that much algae after removing a whole bunch more AND admitting to auto feeding heavily that your nitrates are NOT 10. The reading on the test kit is just what's left over or available in the water column. Your Nitrates are probably through the roof. Just bound in all the algae that is growing. Reduce feeding/lights. Large frequent water changes. Hand remove as much as possible and Reef flux. Just my humble suggestion.

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't know what filtration you have which you may need.. if your going heavy input you need heavy output. I don't see any coral in the tank so all the nutrients are feeding algae and just algae. For a small fish load in a 20gal I'd feed very sparingly maybe a few pellets per fish twice a day. Use your pinky nail as a size reference for how much to drop in.

Back