Okay I screwed up I need serious help, please.

clxtchsxns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dkh was low so I put some bi-carb in to raise it it went too high so I grabbed some white vinegar dropped the bottle and the small amount left in it all came out into my tank within a minute one of my two little clowns jumped out into a bucket bellow and the other one started to float I put them in a breeder box in My maroon clownfish tank and put them in there they’re still a little funny but they look better. Did the vinegar shock them? (The dkh is still high) was it the wrong vinegar? all my corals have mostly closed up please help!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't be of much help, but how big is the tank how and about how much vinegar was spilled into the tank? Do you have a way to check the tanks pH, vinegar is really acidic and I wonder if the sudden pH decrease is what is causing your issue.
Also, you never stated how much you changed your alkalinity by or what type of vinegar you used (I assume probably distilled white).

If nothing else I can bump your thread.

Rtkman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big water change. Don't put anything else in the tank. I doubt the vinegar is the issue. I dose vinegar every day.

OP
OP
C

clxtchsxns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't be of much help, but how big is the tank how and about how much vinegar was spilled into the tank? Do you have a way to check the tanks pH, vinegar is really acidic and I wonder if the sudden pH decrease is what is causing your issue.
Also, you never stated how much you changed your alkalinity by or what type of vinegar you used (I assume probably distilled white).

If nothing else I can bump your thread.
8 gal And it went way up to 14 because my big bro told me it should be good (I ran out of alk up) and slowly but surely everything is opening up again and my phosphate is at 0.003 po4

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 gal And it went way up to 14 because my big bro told me it should be good (I ran out of alk up) and slowly but surely everything is opening up again and my phosphate is at 0.003 po4
It's the pH of the water that I was asking about not the phosphate. Also, did you just add dry baking soda to the tank and if so how much? I use sodium carbonate (baked baking soda) for my tank but I make a solution with rodi water. It would be easy to over dose with powders, ecspecially on that small of a tank.

What did your alkalinity start off at? You've probably raised you alkalinity too high too fast and possibly dropped the pH of your tank with the vinegar.

OP
OP
C

clxtchsxns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the pH of the water that I was asking about not the phosphate. Also, did you just add dry baking soda to the tank and if so how much? I use sodium carbonate (baked baking soda) for my tank but I make a solution with rodi water. It would be easy to over dose with powders, ecspecially on that small of a tank.

What did your alkalinity start off at? You've probably raised you alkalinity too high too fast and possibly dropped the pH of your tank with the vinegar.
my alk was way low as to being gone for a week sitting at about 5.8 and yeah it was dry I dont have a ph test kit only a po4 ill try and find a conversion

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mix up enough salt water to replace as much aquarium water as possible. Adjust for temperature and aerate and mix the water extremely well for a couple hours. Then do an almost 100 water change.

OP
OP
C

clxtchsxns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mix up enough salt water to replace as much aquarium water as possible. Adjust for temperature and aerate and mix the water extremely well for a couple hours. Then do an almost 100 water change.
i buy mine from my shop and have a bit left as to it being my water change day. Honestly contemplating just making it a fowlr for my little clown room mates

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread bums me out. As hobbyists we have a responsibility to do so much better. Never add baking soda directly to your tank. If you want to add baking soda as an alkalinity supplement, mix it with RODI so you don't over dose. Raise it one dkh per day and things won't die. If your brother advised you to do it this way, find another person to give you advice.

You need to read about reef aquaria and learn the fundamentals if these animals are going to be in your care. There are people actively trying to shut the hobby down, and situations like this make it hard to say that reefers provide adequately for the animals they care for. If you own a reef tank, you should know enough about reef chemistry to know that pH and phosphate are not the same.

Please educate yourself before buying any more animals. Bulk reef supply has an excellent YouTube channel that is a good place to start. Check out their 52 weeks of reefing series and watch it in order. If you can, look for some reef aquarium books and read cover to cover to get a broad survey of what you need to know.

OP
OP
C

clxtchsxns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread bums me out. As hobbyists we have a responsibility to do so much better. Never add baking soda directly to your tank. If you want to add baking soda as an alkalinity supplement, mix it with RODI so you don't over dose. Raise it one dkh per day and things won't die. If your brother advised you to do it this way, find another person to give you advice.

You need to read about reef aquaria and learn the fundamentals if these animals are going to be in your care. There are people actively trying to shut the hobby down, and situations like this make it hard to say that reefers provide adequately for the animals they care for. If you own a reef tank, you should know enough about reef chemistry to know that pH and phosphate are not the same.

Please educate yourself before buying any more animals. Bulk reef supply has an excellent YouTube channel that is a good place to start. Check out their 52 weeks of reefing series and watch it in order. If you can, look for some reef aquarium books and read cover to cover to get a broad survey of what you need to know.
I know a decent amount I’ve been doing this for a few years I get advice from my brother because he got me into this hobby I’ve never used this because I use alk up, also I don’t use ph and I’ve never needed too because I don’t usually have problems I test my water at my lfs once a month and all is in top nick

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a decent amount I’ve been doing this for a few years I get advice from my brother because he got me into this hobby I’ve never used this because I use alk up, also I don’t use ph and I’ve never needed too because I don’t usually have problems I test my water at my lfs once a month and all is in top nick
Might be worth biting the bullet for under 200 bucks and get some decent hanna checkers. Trying to make major adjustments with only a once a month regime for testing is tough. I agree with everyone else, it's water change time. Good luck.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but the poster above is right.
If it's been a few years then you know ph is a major part in reefing.
Perhaps you misunderstood your brother on how to dose? I'm not trying to bash this thread, but I do believe you need to get the basics down. Ph, alk, cal, mag, are all important for a reef but not so much for fish only.
Good luck in your future endeavors.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.0%
Back