Okay to move urchin?

TailspotBlenny

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2024
Messages
31
Reaction score
55
Location
Bitterroot Valley, Montana
What state or country do you live in
Montana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Halloween urchin a few weeks ago. My first urchin. I placed him on the rocks and he cleared a good part of the algae. But now he has moved to the back wall the last few days and doesn’t seem to have any intention of going back on the rocks which still have a ton of algae. Is it okay to carefully pick him up and move him back on the rocks or will that cause too much stress?
 
Also I wanted to do a water change today and he’s hanging out near the top of the tank so I’m thinking it might be a good time to move him so he’s not exposed to air when I drain the water?

Does anyone else worry about this for urchins?

(This is an all-in-one tank so I can’t just take water from the sump for water changes)
 
urchins can be out of the water for a short period of time, it is a myth that they can die if exposed to air, in the wild many urchins live in intertidal zones and are exposed to air when the tide goes out. as for moving the urchin, i recommend gently twisting back and fourth until it lets go, if you just pull it straight off you will tear a lot of their tube feet.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new