Olaf's 100 Gallon Reef

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I've made a bit more progress, but haven't updated this in a bit due to a hard focus on prepping tanks for a vacation. Which went well overall.

Rock has been maturing since last October, and have coral QT and grow-out tanks up and running for a bout 6 months now. Main tank will continue once I can get auto water change systems routed throughout the house. I'll see about getting this updated a bit in the mean time.

20Gallon Cube (Growout):
CubeTank05.24.22.png

Coral QT Tank:
Frags.jpg

Rocks Maturing:
b1.png
I saw you post in the PNW thread and decided to check out your build. Glad I did, I enjoyed reading it, lots of detail. Do you have the tank up and running yet? Love to see some pics of your display.

neforpubl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water Mixing Station:​

One of my goals for this build is to decrease barriers for performing maintenance and repeat tasks. One impactful way to do this was to design and build a salt water mixing station that can service tanks and ATO reservoirs throughout my home.

This is a long post, but when starting out I always found myself wishing for a little more detail in peoples' build threads.

Requirements:​

Stand -

Fit inside 1/2 Hallway closet
Saltwater proof material
Hold 1.5x weight capacity (~250lbs min)

Water Containers -

Dedicated RO and Salt bins
Food Grade
Hold 15-25% display tank volume each (17 gals min)
Store extra salt, water change gear, and salinity testers

Functionality -

High pressure internal pumps
Workable height
Handle and detect Spills
Easy transfer Between bins
Outbound hose reaching all tanks
Sediment filter and heating in salt bin
Individually switched electrical and GFCI
Easily disassembled for modification and cleaning
Auto shutoff

Optional Extras:
Auto flush
Optimal PSI
Optical eye auto shutoff (TODO)
Wireless Pump Control

Water Containers:​

I went with two 80lb Gamma Vittles Vaults, which are food grade and hold ~20 gallons each. They have wide mouths for easy pump installation and bin cleaning. I see them used by home-brewers often and the manufacture says they are fine for liquid storage.

containers.png

Stand:​

For the stand I selected 18" x 48" NSF black epoxy wire shelving. It can hold more than twice the required weight and is resistant to corrosion. I searched out a tray that fits into the shelving and will hold the volume of one full water container. The tray prevents water from getting into the storage shelf below and gives me some safety if either bin leaks. A plastic liner was placed on the bottom storage shelf to make sliding salt buckets in and out easier. After taking some basic measurements, I sketched a rough design and ordered parts from a restaurant supply store and a hydroponics vendor.

StandSketch.png
StandParts.png

Container Plumbing:​

This took me a few iterations. Eventually I settled on a design using internal pumps that can be easily disassembled, modified, and cleaned. For comfortable standing access to valves I went with top mounted bulk-heads and plumbing.

Plumbing Design.png

After a trip to the hardware store for 3/4" PVC and ordering some plumbing fittings and python water-change tubing online I was able to get to work.

The initial build went relatively smoothly and I re-learned a good deal about working with plumbing. I went with schedule 80 ball valves and took the time to clean, bevel, and prime each piece. Where applicable, threads were sealed with Great White pipe joint compound.

Plumb.png
intiailStation.jpg

Pumps and Sediment Filtration:​

After measuring the distance to my tanks, and calculating some head pressures, I settled on a pair of Mag Drive 18 pumps. I attached these to 3/4" braided tubing with barb fittings and unions for easy cleaning and in case I ever need to run the system off of just one pump.

pump1.jpg
pump2.jpg

Next I put together a drop-down re-circulation tube for the salt mixing bin. To prevent crud buildup over time, I fixed a 4" filter sock to the bottom of the drop-down tube via a zip tie that slips behind a 90° elbow. This elbow is slip fit so I can change out the sock. I placed a union on the drop-down tube for easy removal and sock change out.

dropdown0.png

DropDown1.png
dropdown.jpg

Measurements and RO/DI Hook-Up:​

The next step was to install a float valve into the RO/DI container to save my floors and trigger the RO/DI unit's auto shutoff system. After that I added gallon marking to the bins. I did this second task by suspending a light inside the bin, incrementally adding water with a measuring bucket, and marking the lines with a level and permanent marker. Not the cleanest labeling, but given the low cost of the bins it was worth the aesthetic trade-off. I then placed a ball valve in-line with the RO output line the so I can easily disconnect the container from the RO system without having to remove the float valve.

valve.jpg
units.jpg

Electrical and Wire Management:​

I ran a heavy-duty extension cord through the wall into the closet, hooked up an in-line GFCI, mounted an individually switched power bar, and secured everything with drip paths in mind using Velcro ties. During this step I also mounted a heater inside the salt mixing bin using a heater holder from Matt at Octo Aquatics.

WIring.png

Pressure and Auto-Flush:​

As noted in my previous post, my water pressure to the RO/DI unit was only 40 PSI. To combat this, I installed an Aqatec booster pump, and while at it, added an auto flush valve and shut-off solenoid. I adjusted the pressure up to 80PSI and saw a drastic boost in my production speed; currently making 20 gallons in about 2hrs and 15mins.

PXL_20211129_030414389.jpg
PXL_20211108_044100957.jpg

psi.jpg
tds.jpg

Mixing Station Complete:​

Here is the final product! So far I have made about 250 gallons of saltwater and I am very happy with how things turned out. It is easy to mix and later heat salt water, and fast to transfer either salt or RO water to tanks and reservoirs on either floor of my home.

Station.jpg

Enhancements:​

Here are a few small things I have done since the initial build. I added a small power-head to the bottom of the salt bin facing upward to speed up initial mixing; this allows me to dump salt in faster. For added safety, I placed a Watchdog leak sensor under the stand. I labeled everything in case a tanker sitter or my significant other needs to do anything while I am away. Lastly, I hooked the two pumps up to WIFI outlets so I can switch them on and off tank-side without walking back to the station.

wifi.png

Next Steps:​

Live rock \ Sand
Build approach
EDIT: Found the containers!

EDIT 2: Looks like they don't ship from the US so shipping is about $150 lol SIKE
1706940119707.png

Saw you telling people to checkout your build in another post. Is there anyway you can share links to your containers and the pumps that you used for the mixing station? I want to build this exact set up in my closet.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
OlafsReef

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: Found the containers!

EDIT 2: Looks like they don't ship from the US so shipping is about $150 lol SIKE
1706940119707.png

Saw you telling people to checkout your build in another post. Is there anyway you can share links to your containers and the pumps that you used for the mixing station? I want to build this exact set up in my closet.

Thanks!
Container: Gamma2 80lb vittles vault. Check around I think Walmart online and a few other played farm supply places still have them with free delivery.

Pumps are Mag 18

Check here, all the info is in this thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/olafs-100-gallon-reef.820110/post-9822136

Water station still works fantastic to this day. Only thing Id add is if you use Python tubing the fittings are slightly larger than standard US PVC so you'll need to Teflon tape where the screw on female end of the Python tubing connects to the outbound male threaded fittings on the mixing station. I also put a small power head facing up at the bottom of the salt bin to help during mixing.

Used it to fill up three atos last night. Doing some water changes today. Really makes things easy. Just make sure you pay attention to flushing RO from line before doing a WC.

neforpubl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Container: Gamma2 80lb vittles vault. Check around I think Walmart online and a few other played farm supply places still have them with free delivery.

Pumps are Mag 18

Check here, all the info is in this thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/olafs-100-gallon-reef.820110/post-9822136

Water station still works fantastic to this day. Only thing Id add is if you use Python tubing the fittings are slightly larger than standard US PVC so you'll need to Teflon tape where the screw on female end of the Python tubing connects to the outbound male threaded fittings on the mixing station. I also put a small power head facing up at the bottom of the salt bin to help during mixing.

Used it to fill up three atos last night. Doing some water changes today. Really makes things easy. Just make sure you pay attention to flushing RO from line before doing a WC.
Yeah I probably won't run python. I have a 15g peninsula waterbox now. Downgraded. I just want to be able to mix up about 20g for the month. I do about 5g water changes each Sunday.

I also live in Florida, so in the event of a power outage it'll be nice to have the water on hand.
I'll modify your build a little and put lines coming out the bottom.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back