Old Aquarist/ New Hobby

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....you all asked for photos on my updates so here they are. This is my 40gal w/ 20gal sump that I DIY'd all by myself.
Background. 4 years ago was a marine biologist at an aquarium. Then had the bright idea to get a masters in engineering. Now, missing my arms being wet.

CAN I TELL YOU HOW EXCITED I AM:

i was so fearful the pump wouldnt be strong enough or the setup would just fall apart. BUT YOUR GIRL DID IT ALL ALONE. I had a minor freak out earlier today when i was putting my equipment together and realized my flex hose wouldnt fit on my sump pump. But that just allowed me an excuse to go to Lowe's and then create this beautiful elbowed intake (yes that is just panty hose on my intake until i get an actual reef sock).

—- also added sand and rock last night after picture. Left the tank running overnight with the wave maker and it’s still insanely cloudy (very last photo) I have changed the sock and filter pads twice now. Help!
DDD2E7C7-C376-42A1-A2D4-AD6E6A3743CE.jpeg
7AEB9D8B-7F9B-4BDF-B9E5-B8E224C24A5D.jpeg
EA062D67-CDF3-418C-8C88-BE1F093D7A77.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

It’s been two days and multiple floss bag changes. And here we are. Finally clear. The trick has been to keep the wave maker off this whole time to let everything settle. I think it may have been pointed down and stirring things up too much.
I blindly put the rock like this. Kinda like it. May tweak a thing or two. What do you all think?

image.jpg

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
31488171-6C3C-43C5-BEFF-0B6E1ED32EE6.jpeg

most recent re-arrangement and probably final (for a month or until I get bored)
Also
QUESTION-
I added bacteria to my tank, and it almost fully cycled in 4 days, then I was an idiot an thought if I added more food, I’d get more bacteria and now my chems are worse 6 days later.
should I buy more bacteria? Wait two more days? I don’t know!!!
My local shop has an amazing deal on two mocha storms I have my eyes set on and I want to buy them before someone else snatched them up.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
31488171-6C3C-43C5-BEFF-0B6E1ED32EE6.jpeg

most recent re-arrangement and probably final (for a month or until I get bored)
Also
QUESTION-
I added bacteria to my tank, and it almost fully cycled in 4 days, then I was an idiot an thought if I added more food, I’d get more bacteria and now my chems are worse 6 days later.
should I buy more bacteria? Wait two more days? I don’t know!!!
My local shop has an amazing deal on two mocha storms I have my eyes set on and I want to buy them before someone else snatched them up.

Biology > Engineering (but engineering pays more!) ;)

Typically not necessary to add additional bacteria of the same strains once added. Once in the system, they will adjust their populations depending on the substrate availability and how much 'food' (nitrogen cycle products) are available.

Is either the rock or sand 'live'? If not, I would suggest that you acquire at least a piece of true live rock and/or sand to help establish a diverse bacteria/archaea population...which will help the system stability in the long run.

I'm a proponent of keeping at least enough space between any rock and glass to be able use a magnetic algae cleaner/scraper unimpeded. This also allows flow to circulate around the tank with much less interference than if the rock is piled up against the sides/back.

Fish are quite sensitive to ammonia levels, so you'd want that to consistently read '0' using a quality test kit before adding any. Feed lightly, especially in the beginning and test parameters often.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biology > Engineering (but engineering pays more!) ;)

Typically not necessary to add additional bacteria of the same strains once added. Once in the system, they will adjust their populations depending on the substrate availability and how much 'food' (nitrogen cycle products) are available.

Is either the rock or sand 'live'? If not, I would suggest that you acquire at least a piece of true live rock and/or sand to help establish a diverse bacteria/archaea population...which will help the system stability in the long run.

I'm a proponent of keeping at least enough space between any rock and glass to be able use a magnetic algae cleaner/scraper unimpeded. This also allows flow to circulate around the tank with much less interference than if the rock is piled up against the sides/back.

Fish are quite sensitive to ammonia levels, so you'd want that to consistently read '0' using a quality test kit before adding any. Feed lightly, especially in the beginning and test parameters often.

Check out my new build thread ;) this one got too small too quick

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my new build thread ;) this one got too small too quick

Look at that, upgraded already!

Speaking of 'too small', I've been mucking about with a 12g for the last 12 years :)

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at that, upgraded already!

Speaking of 'too small', I've been mucking about with a 12g for the last 12 years :)

I just wanted fish that were too small. I’m weird.Having worked at an aquarium I don’t really care about feedings. I more care about the personalities and movement of the tank. I definitely wanted some angels and tangs and knew they would be stressed in a 36g.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 55 42.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 64 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 9.2%
Back