Poor Old 55

RyGuy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old 55 gallon tank that has lived in my garage, and dry for 10+ years. The tank was set up last Sunday, so cycling is going on now. (BORING)

It has some good "dry" Live Rock and and sand in it still. The filter, heater and UV Light were all still attached and sitting there. Along with a dual T5 light. Filter is a Fluval 306. I have cleaned the media, which looks surprisingly good. I also installed new Carbon. The UV Light does not work any longer but is still hooked up to the water line. I will be removing it and replacing the filter hoses soon. The Fluval E200 heater is still working so I left in for now. And the light is a 48" Marineland dual T5 assembly. 1 Daylight and 1 Actinic.

Forgive the decorative piece in the middle. My daughter thought it was pretty, so now it lives there. For those of you have kids, you know what I'm talking about.

I think my biggest hill to climb is going to be starting from an all dry system with no bacterial growth. So far, my water values are a mess! lol

Any ideas or thoughts on my tank are always welcome.

20240126_131842.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old 55 gallon tank that has lived in my garage, and dry for 10+ years. The tank was set up last Sunday, so cycling is going on now. (BORING)

It has some good "dry" Live Rock and and sand in it still. The filter, heater and UV Light were all still attached and sitting there. Along with a dual T5 light. Filter is a Fluval 306. I have cleaned the media, which looks surprisingly good. I also installed new Carbon. The UV Light does not work any longer but is still hooked up to the water line. I will be removing it and replacing the filter hoses soon. The Fluval E200 heater is still working so I left in for now. And the light is a 48" Marineland dual T5 assembly. 1 Daylight and 1 Actinic.

Forgive the decorative piece in the middle. My daughter thought it was pretty, so now it lives there. For those of you have kids, you know what I'm talking about.

I think my biggest hill to climb is going to be starting from an all dry system with no bacterial growth. So far, my water values are a mess! lol

Any ideas or thoughts on my tank are always welcome.

20240126_131842.jpg
Excited to see what you and your daughter come up with!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha, I remember the day when those 55 gallon tanks were considered BIG! I have a 56 gallon column tank and actually that volume of water allows you to keep a nice amount of fish and coral without an immense amount of maintenance. Best wishes to you!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing to forgive about your daughter's input! I'm excited to see what y'all do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back