Old live rock causing dirty/cloudy water?

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, for some time now I have been struggling with cloudy water conditions that i have narrowed down to some old purple Real Reef rock. During the aquascaping process, (the tank is 8 weeks old) the rock got exposed to air for about 24-48 in open air. The piece of rock i would guess weights 3-5 pounds. I also have about 18 pounds of Carib sea dry rock in there as well. My best guess is that the bacteria and live critters died on the rock during that process and are now releasing "nutrients" into the water. Since the whole incident started I have been doing 25% water changes every week and I'm also running carbon.

System params/specifications:
Alk/8
Cal/420
Mg/1400
32 gallons total system volume, with LR and sand about 25 gallons.\
AI Hydra 26 HD

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 8 weeks old, anything that died decomposed weeks ago. What you’re likely seeing is a bacteria bloom, a lot of new tanks go through this. It should go away on its own, but you can add a UV sterilizer to speed things up if you want to. If you don’t have a protein skimmer running, I would run an air stone, as the bacteria can strip the water of oxygen and asphyxiate any other living things that need oxygen. But, as said, should go away on its own (water changes will only help temporarily, only do them if nutrients are too high or as part of normal maintenance).

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium-Nitrogen-Cycle-1024x648(1).png

OP
OP
Alex Cataldo

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 8 weeks old, anything that died decomposed weeks ago. What you’re likely seeing is a bacteria bloom, a lot of new tanks go through this. It should go away on its own, but you can add a UV sterilizer to speed things up if you want to. If you don’t have a protein skimmer running, I would run an air stone, as the bacteria can strip the water of oxygen and asphyxiate any other living things that need oxygen. But, as said, should go away on its own (water changes will only help temporarily, only do them if nutrients are too high or as part of normal maintenance).
I really never saw any nitrates or anything on the test kits, it probably is a bacterial bloom.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . . During the aquascaping process, (the tank is 8 weeks old) the rock got exposed to air for about 24-48 in open air. The piece of rock i would guess weights 3-5 pounds. . . .

"24-48" Am I safe guessing hours? Once rock drys out it's dead rock. Are you adding any food to the system? Here's a good article on establsihng healthy microbiomes:

OP
OP
Alex Cataldo

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"24-48" Am I safe guessing hours? Once rock drys out it's dead rock. Are you adding any food to the system? Here's a good article on establsihng healthy microbiomes:

An ammonia source and bacteria were added to the system

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you continuing to add food or was it just once? Besides a nitrogen source are yo also adding a phosphorus source? Just FYI but only a tiny fraction of the microbial stuff on reefs can be cultured and stuck in a bottle. For a more complex healtheir ecosystem maruicutultured or wild live rock is essential to introduce stuff and especially sponges that can't be cultured and stuck in a bottle. Here's some videos you might find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not unusual. Use the combination of:
- ChemiPure Blue
- Kent water clarifier
- 1.5ml of Bacter 7 liquid bacteria per 10 gallons

You will be clear in about 36-48 hrs

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back