Old newbie aquarium question..

cyberbouncer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out of the hobbies for 20 plus years and just got back in to it... I purchased a used setup off marketplace. 125 tank, wet dry and stand for dirt cheap.. originally it was salt but converted to fresh and the lady had other smaller tanks in her house and was tired of maintaining.. I arrived when she was draining the tank and I helped but after loading the tank I noticed the top.brace had been removed but she told me the tank had been set up for over 5 years but my paranoia is getting the best of me.. I either going to purchase a new rim ( The glass span is 72 1/4 x 18 3/8 due to the 1/2 glass) or brace it with aluminum angle stock... my big question is ... should I worry about this tank or am I just being paranoid? I read that 1/2 glass didn't need a brace even though they have one... somebody else my worries please

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out of the hobbies for 20 plus years and just got back in to it... I purchased a used setup off marketplace. 125 tank, wet dry and stand for dirt cheap.. originally it was salt but converted to fresh and the lady had other smaller tanks in her house and was tired of maintaining.. I arrived when she was draining the tank and I helped but after loading the tank I noticed the top.brace had been removed but she told me the tank had been set up for over 5 years but my paranoia is getting the best of me.. I either going to purchase a new rim ( The glass span is 72 1/4 x 18 3/8 due to the 1/2 glass) or brace it with aluminum angle stock... my big question is ... should I worry about this tank or am I just being paranoid? I read that 1/2 glass didn't need a brace even though they have one... somebody else my worries please
Picture of it? My 125 is an aqueon and I would be paranoid to remove it. However my cousin has a 140 gallon cube type tank without the brace and has no issues

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was designed with a brace I would put one back in then if anything happens you couldn’t of done anymore. Braces are too stop any thing moving or splitting

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back