Old Reef Salt? Already used it once should I dump the rest?

EvilNick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was using the pre mixed pre bottled reef water from my LFS. 2.2 gallons was 8$ so I figured for my 3 gallon nano it was fine to use 1 per week. They do RODI water there to though so I took my chances this week and filled 2 of the empty jugs with their water. Well I should remember old mistakes cause their RODI water sucks. Used my TDS meter when I got home and pre salt mix it was at 160ppm. My well water is better than that! Had to use it this week because I had nothing else but prob not again. Next week I might buy a couple gallons of distilled for 2$ at the store and try that.
Anyway the real question.
The salt I had was pretty old. At least like 2-3 years but stored in a sealed 5 gallon bucket. I opened it and it looked fine but when mixing it I could swear i had to use WAY more than what I remember and looked up. All the brands i looked up online said 1/2 cup to 1 gallon of water, now it didnt say what gravity that would give you but I assume at least 1.24
It took me almost 3 full cups to get to around 25-26.

Does this sound normal? just re entered reef keeping so I am rusty. Appreciate the help. thanks

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was using the pre mixed pre bottled reef water from my LFS. 2.2 gallons was 8$ so I figured for my 3 gallon nano it was fine to use 1 per week. They do RODI water there to though so I took my chances this week and filled 2 of the empty jugs with their water. Well I should remember old mistakes cause their RODI water sucks. Used my TDS meter when I got home and pre salt mix it was at 160ppm. My well water is better than that! Had to use it this week because I had nothing else but prob not again. Next week I might buy a couple gallons of distilled for 2$ at the store and try that.
The salt I had was pretty old. At least like 2-3 years but stored in a sealed 5 gallon bucket. I opened it and it looked fine but when mixing it I could swear i had to use WAY more than what I remember and looked up. All the brands i looked up online said 1/2 cup to 1 gallon of water, now it didnt say what gravity that would give you but I assume at least 1.24

Does this sound normal? just re entered reef keeping so I am rusty. Appreciate the help. thanks
RO/DI TDS 0
RO/DI mixed with salt will have TDS.
I'd use the salt, doesn't go bad.

OP
OP
E

EvilNick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, yeah Im aware the TDS will go up with salt this is why I checked it pre mix. Thanks on the salt tip tho.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely find another source for rodi water.
As for the salt I would use it. If it seems like it is taking more than before to reach your desired salinity then I would use a calibration solution to verify that your measuring instrument is accurate.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt should be fine. Yours was in a sealed container. Salt should keep for a long time as long as it is cool and dry. Heck, it should keep a long time even is suboptimal conditions as long as it is not contaminated.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you did not wash and dry the jugs that came with pre-mixed salt water before filling them with RODI, that is your issue.

Even dust settling on the surface can show on a TDS meter.

For peace of mind, take a clean dry container and your TDS meter with you to the store and ask to test a sample directly from their system.

If it shows high TDS, move on to a different source, but I suspect the issue you had this time was a dirty jug.

The salt in the bucket is fine to use. no worries there.

OP
OP
E

EvilNick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there ro/di is 160??
Something not right there.
Your bucket? Was the bucket used for something else?
bucket was a used pre mixed bucket from the water I was buying but rinsed and dried.

OP
OP
E

EvilNick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely find another source for rodi water.
As for the salt I would use it. If it seems like it is taking more than before to reach your desired salinity then I would use a calibration solution to verify that your measuring instrument is accurate.
Im not familiar with that. I used my TDS checker and gravity checker and checked it vs the pre bought solution and my current tank and it all matched up salinity wise.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not familiar with that. I used my TDS checker and gravity checker and checked it vs the pre bought solution and my current tank and it all matched up salinity wise.
Sorry but what are you not familiar with, the calibration solution? If so it’s just a solution with a know salinity. I’ve had store bought calibration solutions be off so I now make my own. There is a recipe on the forum of how to make it cheaply with rodi water and table salt. I probably wouldn’t use your lfs rodi water even for that though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Ive used old salt and all the elements get to the bottom of container. Use it up as its likely not contaminated

OP
OP
E

EvilNick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but what are you not familiar with, the calibration solution? If so it’s just a solution with a know salinity. I’ve had store bought calibration solutions be off so I now make my own. There is a recipe on the forum of how to make it cheaply with rodi water and table salt. I probably wouldn’t use your lfs rodi water even for that though.
Thanks

OP
OP
E

EvilNick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used distilled and honestly coral look much better. Probably going to keep this up for now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back