Old reefer getting back in.

rastascoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am an old reefer just getting back into the hobby. My current setup is an old 90 All Glass aquarium. I started in this hobby almost 20 years ago and have been gone for about 14 years. A lot has changed in that time. My tank is now hooked to my wifi and I had to try and not fill my tank up with all the live rock I had. I now have LED lights (neptune Sky) which were only just coming out when I left. I currently have a sixline, 2 purple firefish and a neon goby and cleaner shrimp as my pets. I am finding it a little hard to source fish as most things I see online are out of stock or just crazy prices. I look forward to meeting everyone, happy reefing.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I was in a similar situation. I left hobby about 20 years ago and came back last year. The pricing, technology, automation, everything has gone up in price! I am also enjoying the hobby more this time around.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from one old reefer to another! I started in the mid 90’s and got out about a 11 years ago and jumped back in just over a year ago. Sticker shock is an under statement.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am an old reefer just getting back into the hobby. My current setup is an old 90 All Glass aquarium. I started in this hobby almost 20 years ago and have been gone for about 14 years. A lot has changed in that time. My tank is now hooked to my wifi and I had to try and not fill my tank up with all the live rock I had. I now have LED lights (neptune Sky) which were only just coming out when I left. I currently have a sixline, 2 purple firefish and a neon goby and cleaner shrimp as my pets. I am finding it a little hard to source fish as most things I see online are out of stock or just crazy prices. I look forward to meeting everyone, happy reefing.

Welcome! Glad you joined and returned to hobby. Here is a big HOWDY from your DFW neighbor! Check out this now TX based store, getting ready to franchise, maybe down to Houston and/or maybe closer to you (since Houston and DFW are both likely equally far for you...):

Yes, prices on everything ... not just fish... are surprising over where they used to be. Sometimes local stores may do something really great. Think you are out near Austin, maybe something there can hook you up. DFW is at least 4 hours away, but this year one of our local hobby club sponsors SALGADO AQUATICS is offering to host our holiday potluck... and while event is open to both free and premium members ($25/annual to be premium) there are going to be amazing deals for in-person Premium hobby club members. I'm VERY excited. December 10th can't get here soon enough - mama wants a cutie Bella Goby! Details will be on club website shortly (flyer to be finalized).

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Texas:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back