old rock replaced with new rock

46bowreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched through the threads and not finding what I'm looking for.
My question is this, I have an established reef tank thats been up and running for a couple years. One of my upper rocks is mostly covered with zoa's and what I believe to be poly's. Instead of just removing them from the rock and possibly releasing poly toxin into my tank i was wondering if i could just cure a new rock remove that rock and put it in its place without possibly recycling the tank and killing my other corals. I have softies, leather, Lps and some Sps that i dont want to lose. any thought on this and best and fastest way to cure a new rock if its possible.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the new rock is not previously used, or is cured by you, you will have no issue.

However, not all palys and zoas contain the dangerous palytoxins, and which one has them and which one does not is difficult to say. The only reason you would need to be worried is if you boiled the zoa/paly rock or started chopping them up and rubbing your eyes or eating them. Plenty of people frag these corals all the time and have no issues. If you are still worried, you can always run quality carbon in the tank.

OP
OP
46bowreef

46bowreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the new rock is not previously used, or is cured by you, you will have no issue.

However, not all palys and zoas contain the dangerous palytoxins, and which one has them and which one does not is difficult to say. The only reason you would need to be worried is if you boiled the zoa/paly rock or started chopping them up and rubbing your eyes or eating them. Plenty of people frag these corals all the time and have no issues. If you are still worried, you can always run quality carbon in the tank.

The new rock I would use is old live rock, well dry rock that has not been used in several years. thoughts were to clean it put in a tub with water from my tank when i do a water change and let sit for a couple weeks. Maybe even add some bacteria also before i place it in my tank. Thoughts?

OP
OP
46bowreef

46bowreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You open yourself up to algae depending on how much rock is remove/replaced but your fish/corals shouldn't be dramatically impacted.
Only wanting to remove one piece, which makes up about maybe a 5th of my rock

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new rock I would use is old live rock, well dry rock that has not been used in several years. thoughts were to clean it put in a tub with water from my tank when i do a water change and let sit for a couple weeks. Maybe even add some bacteria also before i place it in my tank. Thoughts?

I would put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a pump and heater at about 80 degrees and 1.020 salinity and throw some microbacter 7 into the water.

OP
OP
46bowreef

46bowreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell the rock with corals. I would do an acid bath on the old dry rock. And then soak for a few days. Then add to the tank. If you have some cuc you’ll be ok.
I have pretty good cuc, but what type of acid bath?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar at like 1:1 with water or muratic at like 1:10 if I am remembering. Google these numbers and wear PPE. Bleach/water at a 1:10 ratio for 24 hours will also remove organics. Rinse well with fresh water and air dry to let everything gas off. I would have no concerns swapping rock out and have done it myself with a GSP covered rock in my nano.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back