Old Rock

blooper01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 100 pounds of old rock in my garage (in Rubbermaid tubs, no lids), and I am going to set up 90 gal reef for my daughters room. The rock has a lot of spider webs and miscellaneous gunk on it from sitting there for 3-4 years. Would I be able to hose it all off and give it a good scrub, then do a bleach soak to use it in the new tank? Or would this be a waste and I should get new rock?

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 100 pounds of old rock in my garage (in Rubbermaid tubs, no lids), and I am going to set up 90 gal reef for my daughters room. The rock has a lot of spider webs and miscellaneous gunk on it from sitting there for 3-4 years. Would I be able to hose it all off and give it a good scrub, then do a bleach soak to use it in the new tank? Or would this be a waste and I should get new rock?
Use it! I wouldn't even bleach it if I were you. If you have a friend or another tank it might be a good idea it put it in a tank to "seed it" with bacteria and pods, other than that it's no different than buying dry rock from a LFS. I definitely rinse it off first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blooper01

blooper01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use it! I wouldn't even bleach it if I were you. If you have a friend or another tank it might be a good idea it put it in a tank to "seed it" with bacteria and pods, other than that it's no different than buying dry rock from a LFS. I definitely rinse it off first.
Yeah, it will definitely need a heck of a scrubbing for sure :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back