Old rock

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, had some man made rock that I had for a long time . Had it in my sump 5 years ago . So, I thought why not put it back in . I did not clean it just put it In . Well, next thing I know my nitrates rocketed to 75. I have taken it out and cleand out the sump. It has dropped to 50 my phosphates are .07 i do not want my phosphates going any lower . I started dosing vodka i am at 2 ml. A day for a 120 gallon system that is not much . I am afraid my phosphate will bottom out before my nitrates drop to ecceptable numders. Any suggestions.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, had some man made rock that I had for a long time . Had it in my sump 5 years ago . So, I thought why not put it back in . I did not clean it just put it In . Well, next thing I know my nitrates rocketed to 75. I have taken it out and cleand out the sump. It has dropped to 50 my phosphates are .07 i do not want my phosphates going any lower . I started dosing vodka i am at 2 ml. A day for a 120 gallon system that is not much . I am afraid my phosphate will bottom out before my nitrates drop to ecceptable numders. Any suggestions.
Macro algae anyone?
Do you have a refuge?

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are at 50 but I have lost .02 phosphate so for. My phosphates have been at .1 to .09 for 6 months.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep an eye on it . I was alittle worried, I have had a couple crabs die . Since the spike.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep an eye on it . I was alittle worried, I have had a couple crabs die . Since the spike

20220716_105040.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dose phosphates while dosing vodka and you won’t bottom out.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will wait till my phosphates hit .03 before I start dosing phosphates. I am at .07 now and would like them at .05 or close.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will wait till my phosphates hit .03 before I start dosing phosphates. I am at .07 now and would like them at .05 or close.
You mentioned your parameters were elevated phosphate, and your added the "nitrate bomb" rock, which you have cleaned off, along with the sump, and the nitrates when from 70 to 50 after the intial cleaning. Did that cleaning also have a partial water change of 25-30% of your system water? Just wondering if your system is using the extra nitrate to lower the higher phosphate that you had at the beginning? Letting this ride for a week or so you may have both N & P at levels closer to your lower targets simply by biological activity in the tank. Adding nitrate bomb might have been just what you needed?

Keep us updated! :)

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a log of everything and after I found out about the bomb . It went from 75 to 50 and it has been 50 for a few days now hopefully it will go down on its own. I know that 6 to7 ml of vodka should be my regular dose of vodka but I am going slow sticking to the the chart. I have about 8 more weeks before I get close to that dose.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just had someone add man-made rock to their tank and wiped out everything in tank. Watch it Very closely and utilize carbon to minimize any toxins that may leach

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back