OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated my frag/qt tank for fun. Used my old 40 breeder and threw in a sump baffle/weir from Tenecor to give the tank a large AIO kinda sump and got a Photon 16”

IMG_6682.jpeg

IMG_6681.jpeg

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally have no idea how my corals are doing so well against all commonly accepted measurements.

My pH is 7.8-8 daily swing.

Many acros are only getting 200 PAR! The big center colonies are getting 300-350. I think lower PAR from T5 must be ok because it wraps the coral in light. The actinic and purple plus are crappy par output compared to B+ and C+, I should probably swap them out but it’s tough to change anything when a good number of corals just grow explosively.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally have no idea how my corals are doing so well against all commonly accepted measurements.

My pH is 7.8-8 daily swing.

Many acros are only getting 200 PAR! The big center colonies are getting 300-350. I think lower PAR from T5 must be ok because it wraps the coral in light. The actinic and purple plus are crappy par output compared to B+ and C+, I should probably swap them out but it’s tough to change anything when a good number of corals just grow explosively.
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it lol…

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not wrong!
Lovely tank by the way!!! I’m impatiently waiting for mine to grow out! Some day I’ll have a problem on my hands but for now I just keep stuffing frags trying to fill this beast up! Haha..

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely tank by the way!!! I’m impatiently waiting for mine to grow out! Some day I’ll have a problem on my hands but for now I just keep stuffing frags trying to fill this beast up! Haha..
Thanks!

I will say the benefit of a tank full
of coral is they act as their own filtration system. All I run is a protein skimmer and still struggle with low nitrate and phosphate.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I will say the benefit of a tank full
of coral is they act as their own filtration system. All I run is a protein skimmer and still struggle with low nitrate and phosphate.
Same.. got a few bigger colonies but for the most part 100 or so frags lol
IMG_1512.jpeg

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here we go.

CHANGES:

pH found to be quite low after toddler went mobile and recalibrated pH probe. I let it season a week and recalibrated again with no change- barely hitting 8 at the end of peak photoperiod.

+ Added Kalk. Premixing a 2.5g jug and dosing 7pm-9am via DOS. Up to 400ml and having to increase every couple days.

+ Added co2 scrubber. Bought the monster dual chamber unit from BRS. I have it set up with 2 motorized ball valves to run 7pm to 9am. It’s teed in to my frag air feed line so I get fresh air all day and scrubbed basement air (confirmed basement air has lower co2 levels) at night.

IMG_7046.jpeg

The Kalk and scrubber have brought my pH up to 8-8.2 swing. I’ve had to increase 2 part quite a bit and still chasing to keep 7dkH. I’m up to like 100ml each part and 200ml Part C.

+Added Ammonia dosing. Just to keep up with nitrates bottoming out I’m adding 5ml of Randy’s recipe ammonium bicarbonate 4x daily. This equates to like 1ppm Nitrate I believe. Been doing this for a month with no ill effects. I need to get more brave and triple the amount of doses at least, but the BRS 1.1ml doser im using is loud and annoying. I got a GHL doser second hand waiting on new heads from Vinny.

Cut a couple orange passion “frags” that are colony sized hahaha.

IMG_7126.jpeg

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 3 years worth of bulbs from BRS at 20% off PLUS $25 off for spending over 200. I don’t think they will, but I’m set for a while if they become scarce.

I only had them on 1 acro (ultimate blue stag) but I got tired of looking at the white bugs. Rolled the dice on a 5x treatment of Interceptor. I got the spectrum chew one with prazi in it. It was a ******* to mix with water, had to put in the Vitamix hahaha but everything went well and it nuked them. I was concerned about my big clam and snails but they’re fine.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is humming along. Found out Milwaukee SE220 pH probe reads .1-.2 higher so that has me feeling better about pH even if it’s just placebo. Diurnal swing is now 8.1-8.3. Not bad! 2 part consumption has gone up 50% since I put the scrubber on. I did try and turn it off for 1 night and pH dipped down to 7.8 so as long as the cost stays low I’ll keep running it.

IMG_7392.jpeg

Had to chop up yellow turbinaria and Bubblegum Monster that both got to the size of dinner plates. Large casserole dish and mixing bowl for scale. Don’t tell my wife.

IMG_7334.jpeg

IMG_7202.jpeg

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long hunt got a Hamilton 150w halide over the frag tank thanks to an absolute legend @X-37B !!

Everything looking a bit washed out will take some time to show actual color vs just the pop from blue LEDs.

Phoenix 14k in the fixture looking pretty much like a dimmer Radium.

IMG_7454.jpeg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long hunt got a Hamilton 150w halide over the frag tank thanks to an absolute legend @X-37B !!

Everything looking a bit washed out will take some time to show actual color vs just the pop from blue LEDs.

Phoenix 14k in the fixture looking pretty much like a dimmer Radium.

IMG_7454.jpeg
Enjoy and keep the pics comming.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine I ordered a new tank!

60 x 24 x 22 acrylic.

Peninsula style with an external overflow but it will be up against the wall. I did this so I have access to deal with the eventuality that is leaking bulkheads. Seems like four years is the magic number where they start having salt creep etc.
I have nowhere near the free time I did when I built the last stand so it will probably take me all year to get it done.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back