OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think you're sitting on rose fertilizer gold. sein it through a filter towel, get the salt out, concentrate that in fresh ro water set to the correct hardness for the strain, and win Las Vegas' best in show rose competition using reef mud. I think it's plant nutrient gold considering the work it makes us have to do here.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is indistinguishable from a vanilla frap at the ritzy coffee place :)

Might taste slightly different...
Basketball Wives Ugh GIF by VH1

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New example coming soon, work in progress from private messaging

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think David100 has done one of the most thorough, hardest working rip cleans I’ve seen. Proud to watch him force compliance in a decent sized reef, not an easy job

start:
68642A61-3C56-468E-BD1F-2D9F4E19C397.png

years of aging are turned around in these specialized steps:

this was a rare time we did not do all the rocks and sand in the tank on the same day

we staggered the job- rocks externally worked about 90% by themselves first, set back on top of uncleaned sand for an extra couple weeks when an absolutely huge rip clean job all at once could be ran, correctly, with no rush. 100% all new water matching temp and salinity was attained

we couldn’t do all the rocks as thorough + the sand in one day, it would be 36 hours straight work

the rocks were cleaned in repeat jobs from start / bulk removal to endpoint micro fine knife point detailing, look how algae abutting the large toadstool coral was detailed clean exactly like reef dentistry, exacting
6E5346E1-72A5-4775-9E75-CD152B7EF7BA.png

C70DC25F-879B-45AE-B9DB-680707B70C16.png

18D12ADE-5D5B-486B-B09B-74B5299CF59C.png

04DB8207-3469-40EF-B833-5541EB398F01.png

no bottle bac, no testing rip clean skip cycle enacted

the tank mid cleaning, where rocks were majorly removed and detailed about 75% of the way, put back, then re accessed a few days later gaining to fully detailed clean:

43355357-1F86-4C1E-9B57-0E85E762D0B5.png

he built a holding tote of a deep cleaned rock for the filter base, heat and circulation:
2B9E8851-BBE1-44CC-B9A4-01DB44C0FEAC.png

he rinsed sand to true cloudlessness

3BE036F9-86E6-4238-A6EF-3D560F541DE1.png

E906A6E1-7EE0-4854-A22F-AF40F031B61C.png
FD68443D-5D61-42C8-A7E5-7755131FEA98.jpeg

and verified it was clean, in a test cup of water for each rinsed section, before putting back in the main tank

he took the main tank to the grass and washed it out, 100% of glass accumulations razor scraped then washed off so the tank looked clean

multiple days of dedicated cleaning were enacted but we did it all in a two week span / large tank old tank syndrome reversed

hes not going to get dinos now, or cyano…

for this final result

C25FF72C-8644-4B73-B72C-BE412B43A036.png
56F1FE08-4437-42D6-972A-69AB42B65BA2.png
D16D78EA-BD03-46B3-A1FB-32C5254109E1.png

look at how eutrophic reefs are yellow, green, bright reflective palettes of color

look how oligotrophic reefs are muted, contrasting tones of blue and red and deep purple and black, modeled like the abyssal shelf reef what an amazing turnaround

******look at this degree of waste that would be left in the tank had he opted for fluconazole or other kill methods that degrade the algae in the tank

8BF993BB-5183-40BF-9D23-0A0729564BAC.jpeg

there was already the waste from years running, plus it would have taken on degraded algae waste, full surgical evacuation was key and required

the surface area is restored, the plugging growths no longer cover the live rock

the live rock crevices now see wastewater and nitrification rates are restored, the live rocks can now express waste vs have it pent up

he is free to use fluconazole now, as a preventative not the remover -if- required

he’s willing to do a few simple guiding runs of rocks outside the tank, they can be lifted out easily, before resorting to medicines

in some reef dentistry runs more than one cleaning visit is needed

the system will take on a new life trophic state since mass was evacuated by force vs hands off guiding

his topoff water can now be verified perfectly clean zero tds

Identification of his invader did not matter: any mass of that degree would best be handled by surgery and not internal degradation of the offending mass

allelopathic plant / cellular compounds and irritants are now fully gone, the reef will start to regenerate hermatypic corals and look at the quality of coralline and pigmentation and true rock aging that existed under the growths.

this isn’t a tank start over, we preserved his original cycle. A tank start over requires a new cycle: this was solely plant ejection.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of weeks ago I did a similar clean on my 50 year old reef. a few years ago I stupidly added photosynthitic sponge. Then discovered it is encrusting and invasive and there was no way to remove it as it covered everything.

I removed all the rocks and corals to vats but left the gravel intact. I just stirred it up and filtered out most of the detritus with 100% of the NSW the tank was filled with.

The NSW I collect is very high in silicates which I think was fueling the sponge. Most of the rocks I cleaned with a wire brush then left outside in sea water in the cold and dark

(Here in New York it is close to freezing)

I then put everything back in and filled the tank with 100% asw which I am not crazy about but I need to eliminate silicates now until I am sure I have none of that invasive sponge.

The fish and corals are back in and the tank now looks like a produce farm of algae which I will leave alone for now because I like the health benefits of algae. It has started to turn white and hopefully will die soon.

As It does I suck it out using my (very old) diatom filter which I do almost every day.

I still need to glue back a bunch of corals but I will wait until the algae dies back.

You can see some of the algae here but it covers the tank.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul that is really really scary, to have such time and dedication in the system + have a naturally-selected sponge do that, it would make me sick to my stomach

you commanded it back well, those pictures are pure gold. I had a white invasive sponge get into my acanthastrea colony I had for years and I just couldn’t beat it even with weekly scraping off the target, it was acid-etching the skeleton and truly destroying the frag, I had to throw it out. If it got in my rocks I could not have beaten in, I truly 100% hope yours is gone. That’s fine surgery on a huge, seriously time invested tank, thank you for posting!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, most of my rocks were totally covered in the stuff and it was encrusting so I couldn't pull it off the rocks as it was in all the crevaces so I had to use a wire brush and in some places hot water.

Much of it I had to bleach and I just threw some out.

It is the light blue stuff, kind of nice looking.

Here much of the rock is out.

Here is the tank with almost everything removed to vats.

Near empty tank.JPG

Just after I cleaned it, it looked like this.
Cleaned.JPG

Much of my rock is big because I built it. This piece is the biggest and I made it by cementing smaller pieces together. It is probably 10 lbs.

Shevlin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 17 year old mixed reef heavily stocked. Live rock is 17 years old never been cleaned. Sand bed is also 17 years old. I have to add neo-nitro daily otherwise nitrates hit zero. Phos stays between .005 and .008

all that said, reading this thread now has me really nervous that i’m well overdue to clean my rocks and sand!
BC66CA44-C3D5-4F35-977B-D3575570EE16.jpeg

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to do it until you have a problem develop

glad you posted

what we deal with here is tank rehab techniques that work for everyone, full repeatability

the methods that get an untouched sandbed sitting on the bottom of an aquarium out to 17 years aren’t repeatable across the masses, hence the need for the thread, you can see across pages various states of wreckage we fix. states of decay and variances in export and import create varied conditions across owners, it’s not like everyone can just go hands off in a system and get it to work…the majority can’t in fact and they comprise the cipro dosers you read about, or the owners of fish kill systems who disturbed the sand and lost years of balanced fish in the tank: variation is what we see in old tanks, not consistency

cleaning is a way for the masses to earn consistency because it’s repeatable

if your tank has been balanced in such a way that no intervention is needed, don’t

and when it is needed, if things begin to crash or you have to transfer tanks for some reason then there’s a method on file that works for everyone

You’d continue the artistic guiding until you can’t anymore. Let’s see the sandbed pic if you can, the sandbed is the liability not so much the coral canopy

if someone is having fish kill issues or coral loss after years of allowing sand and other catchments in the tank to compile waste, it’s hard for them to reverse that trending by looking at a pic of someone’s coral, they need ordered steps to arrest the loss cycle

those steps are what we review here. I honestly wouldn’t undo your balance until you have to, that’s enough dilution so far for your reefing method and design

Last edited:

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder how often those who think they are experiencing OTS, simply need to rebalance the chemistry in their water by either performing a 100% WC or adding something like Part C? I know tanks can get packed with detritus, over time. However, I have had very old systems that completely reset after a 90% WC. Anyone care to guess what the average age of a system might be, that is at risk of experiencing OTS? I assume any system 4 years or older?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 17 year old mixed reef heavily stocked. Live rock is 17 years old never been cleaned. Sand bed is also 17 years old. I have to add neo-nitro daily otherwise nitrates hit zero. Phos stays between .005 and .008

all that said, reading this thread now has me really nervous that i’m well overdue to clean my rocks and sand!
BC66CA44-C3D5-4F35-977B-D3575570EE16.jpeg

What an awesome system there. 17 years - wow! Props :)

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest thing to consider is the transmissibilty of what works for us into other people's systems

There are unspoken things hands off reefers do that aren't copied well, it only seems like a + b + c=d in hands off systems should work for everyone

The key is getting fifty of other people's systems to fall in line and track them as a collection. It's the hardest thing to do

For example: someone go into the nuisance algae forum and find a reefer with a gha jacked tank, and fix it, add it to a thread of fixes on file. Watch what happens when the fourth guy doses the fluconazole

Then when chemiclean is added for the cyano, still don't clean out the bed and by the time dinos hit the stress will be on + the pressure

The reason rip clean threads have tight outcome controls is because we're removing particulate waste not just the water that catches its leak from the sand or other zones of waste collection

The reason we want threads that always deal in particulate waste removal to the exclusion of any other method without blending other methods is to track a+b+c= control over the system as a basic measure to start from when unsure

We need opposing methods to gain work thread entrants to pattern short term and long term results

Once artistic skill catches on widespread, nobody will need rip cleaning. We've got to inspect counter measures other than rip cleans by getting into crashing tank threads and selling them on the alternate ways, they apply the stated measures, then we track out the outcomes across months and years across multiple systems/ put them in links for patterning

I tried all sorts of alternate methods in other people's tanks to arrive here. Nobody likes tank surgery it's hard and wasteful of water... but if I'm looking at being accountable for someone's twenty thousand dollar sps reef from across the way, and all I get to have to guide it are pics maybe a video if lucky there's no other method I'll use. This is the known safe method, arrived at by a few painful losses, embarrassing ones, along the way. This basic method streamlines all tanks for a skip cycle restart: no bottle bac used no parameter testing used and for sure no vile distasteful cipro used. I feel cipro use growing among hobbyists is a bad trend and it's something we'll never use here to retrain coral growth... there needs to be threads that don't follow major trending approaches, I'd like to have that here

Last edited:

Shevlin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to do it until you have a problem develop

glad you posted

what we deal with here is tank rehab techniques that work for everyone, full repeatability

the methods that get an untouched sandbed sitting on the bottom of an aquarium out to 17 years aren’t repeatable across the masses, hence the need for the thread, you can see across pages various states of wreckage we fix. states of decay and variances in export and import create varied conditions across owners, it’s not like everyone can just go hands off in a system and get it to work…the majority can’t in fact and they comprise the cipro dosers you read about, or the owners of fish kill systems who disturbed the sand and lost years of balanced fish in the tank: variation is what we see in old tanks, not consistency

cleaning is a way for the masses to earn consistency because it’s repeatable

if your tank has been balanced in such a way that no intervention is needed, don’t

and when it is needed, if things begin to crash or you have to transfer tanks for some reason then there’s a method on file that works for everyone

You’d continue the artistic guiding until you can’t anymore. Let’s see the sandbed pic if you can, the sandbed is the liability not so much the coral canopy

if someone is having fish kill issues or coral loss after years of allowing sand and other catchments in the tank to compile waste, it’s hard for them to reverse that trending by looking at a pic of someone’s coral, they need ordered steps to arrest the loss cycle

those steps are what we review here. I
wouldn’t undo your balance until you have to, that’s enough dilution so far for your reefing method and design

Thanks and I will need to take a pic of the sand bed when I get home but will post it later.

As an added note I do vacuum out the sand when doing 30% water changes (every 3-4 weeks)

i’m sure that helps

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A two year system extended.

We can follow system updates to see how they fare in pattern here. Instead of using chemi clean, or adding animals, CrazyDuck959 just swapped his sandbed and de-aged his reef tank. The after pics look that way too, shocking laser clarity

The reason we collect jobs here is so we can study in pattern what happens if we view old tank syndrome as an accumulation issue, and then act accordingly. We need jobs on file using this method to the exclusion of any other method so we can find best practices among options.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I believe a few years ago I called BS. Yeah, I’m too lazy to scroll back and find my post. But having been in the hobby for 25 years now I have noticed a pattern. In 2013, at about the 11 year mark for my tank, I experienced a catastrophic tank crash. It was inundated with GHA and I lost about 75% of my coral. Prevailing thought at the time was that my rock was saturated with phos, so I took my rock out and treated it with a lot of lanthanum chloride. While simultaneously replacing my gravel (since everything was out already anyway). It was a total tank teardown. Believing my problem was solved with the lanthanum, I blissfully went back to reefing the way I had. Leaving my sand bed untouched.

Bring on 2023. 10 years after my last crash. Things started going south again. 10 year old coral colonies started dying for no reason. Cyanno mats everywhere…. Of course, ICP shows nothing alarming and neither did Aquabiomics. So, I tried going the biodiversity route, adding mud and sand to my tank. That didn’t help. Much. So I tried stirring my sand. That gave me temporary relief, but the death returned. Then I went nuclear and decided to tear down my tank, one half at a time and replace all of my sand, a couple months apart. This is the first 2/3 of the tank, torn apart and sand removed. Not fun tearing down a 180 gallon tank.
IMG_8943.jpeg

so then a few months later, I did the rest of the tank, the right side
IMG_9826.jpeg

And guess what? Ever since replacing my sand, thing have been stable and thriving again. Which had me rethinking my 2013 crash. It probably wasn’t the rock being phos bound that caused my crash, it was probably a rotted sandbed. It has been my experience that the carrying capacity of an untouched sandbed is about 10 years.

Now I wouldn’t recommend going this long. And I no longer just sit back and do nothing. I am going in regularly (maybe twice a year) with a power head and blasting the snot out of my sandbed. Stirring up a storm. Within an hour or 2, things clear up and are back to normal. So we will see if I can go longer than 10 years between sandbed replacements now, with some regular sandbed stirring.
IMG_0390.jpeg

This was my sandbed blast from last weekend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back