Old tidepool biowheel.

EricGubricky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old tide pool bio wheel sump but I want to use for a new tank, (long story, my tank stand is built in, this sump is the only thing that fits.) Should I ditch the bio wheel and just fill that compartment up with live rock or Marine pure bio media?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric, maybe a photo would help?

OP
OP
E

EricGubricky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric, maybe a photo would help?
Water goes in the top, through 3 filter trays, over the bio wheel (small compartment), then flows into the big compartment where I have my skimmer, heaters, and return pump.
tapatalk_1559303798550.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing the system, I agree with your idea to yank the bio-wheel and add live rock or some other biological filtration.

OP
OP
E

EricGubricky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing the system, I agree with your idea to yank the bio-wheel and add live rock or some other biological filtration.
Thanks for your input. They no longer make sump, so they must have stopped making it for a reason. I haven't heard anything great about the bio wheel. I think I will take it out and fill that compartment with ceramic 1 1/2" biomedia balls. I'm just re-setting this tank back up. Been away from the hobby for a while (10 years).

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. They no longer make sump, so they must have stopped making it for a reason. I haven't heard anything great about the bio wheel. I think I will take it out and fill that compartment with ceramic 1 1/2" biomedia balls. I'm just re-setting this tank back up. Been away from the hobby for a while (10 years).
Whatever you put down there, make sure it is easy to get out and clean if needed. Do not want it end up as a detritus trap.

Also, welcome back to the hobby, and glad to have ya here. Being as you are setting everything back up, now would be a good time to start a build thread.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than using ceramic biomedia balls at the start, I'd use live rock. The biomedia may prove to be useful further down the road, but for now, keep it simple and don't try to over control the water parameters. The balls will add carbon into the water and feed bacteria. Some bacteria is very good and some is bad. At the start you don't need to feed any bacteria. But that's just my opinion. Others may see it differently.

Quix100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water goes in the top, through 3 filter trays, over the bio wheel (small compartment), then flows into the big compartment where I have my skimmer, heaters, and return pump.
Hey reefers i have a 90 g I have the same sump connected to a eshopps sump. U got me thinking of getting rid of the bio wheel

got_snow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they still make this type of sump?
Do they still make this type of sump?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back