Old Vermitid snail tubes

scottsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, just wanted to get peoples feedback on vermitid snail tubes. I received a bunch of dry rock from a friend(its been sitting dry in buckets for about 3 years). It does have a lot of old vermitid snail tubes on the rock, reason he took rock out in first place. My question is....do you think after all these years sitting dry, once i put it back in saltwater to cure, will the snails come back and re-infest my tank???? I know i have heard of some critters coming back after sitting dry. Let me know what you think!!!!!!
Scott

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about the old tubes being alive. I would, however, try to break them off before adding the rock just because those things can tear up a hand.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won’t come back, but since it’s dead rock and has a bunch of gunk on it I’d suggest soaking it in bleach for a few days. Rinse well . Soak in water for a couple days. Then do muriatic acid wash on it. You don’t have to do both, but it’s a lot more effective

You’ll take off any dead and unwanted organics on the rock which will be better for the system.

OP
OP
scottsreef

scottsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I washed off a few small pieces so i could take a pic and show everyone what is all over the rocks. IMG_2450_edited.jpg IMG_2451_edited.jpg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirorbid worms and Feather duster harmless filter feeders.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back