Oldest Citron Goby?!

How old was your oldest citron/citrinis goby you’ve had?

• Under 6 Months

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Under 1 Year

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 1-2 Years

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 2-3 Years

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 3-4 Years

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 4+ Years - Must provide tips in comments lol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this plan! My flow is pretty solid so nothing really sits in the tank when I feed mysis and if it does the nesarrius snails make quick work of it. If I can find a way to wedge in a rock that may work.

Lights are out - I’ll get a shot tomorrow. He’s a lot more shy than the citrons Im used to but he’s active and interacts. Definitely seems happy.

This is Limon (RIP) - used to sit on my hand and help me place corals. Ate everything and a ton of personality. Still miss him

A0EF97B0-32DC-4052-B186-7C1AD05D0883.jpeg
6FD6E2D3-7571-4505-A499-EBA20CEF0AC6.jpeg
He was beautiful! This is really making me want to try mix clown goby species up.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos?

Also I have found they can be relatively difficult to get eating in the start, if you manage to get a finicky one (Seems like you did) then you can always treat them like Discordipinna griessingeri
DD7AA440-1D40-4E3E-8B1B-38761D55A102.jpeg

These guys love pods but rarely move off the sand bed and seem to be nocturnal. So what I do to try get frozen into mine is I will let the frozen fall onto the sand bed, get wedged between sand or even rocks where there is very little flow and leave it there till night.
2 months in - I ended up buying mandarins to justify the monthly pods for the citron - today I am seeing him actively eating the Hikari Baby Brine shrimp that the Biota mandarins are bred to eat. Hooray!! Citron lovers take note - pods and Hikari baby brine might be the answer to a citron who wont eat mysis.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re really tiny lol. Practically would need a nano tank to see them all the time.
Citrons are huge for a clown goby! They’re like 2 inch long when they’re fully grown haha. Griessingers on the other hand are TINY, I wouldn’t have anything much bigger than what I have to have this fish in for their size, I’d stick to a maximum tank size of 15g haha.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cool knowledge, haha. The Clown Gobies are certainly cute fish. Any luck in pairing them?
I haven’t tried yet - The naoko is taking his sweet sweet time with growth spurts.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Naoko’s a pretty wrasse and they were discovered maybe 12-13 years ago. If we want to go rare for fairy wrasses, I’ve seen videos of a super male Lanceolatus brought up from Okinawa at 460 feet (140m).
Around 14 years ago (2008) the Naoko was discovered and named properly.

I wonder if it’s possible to pair fish of different species so like Gobiodon Okinawae and Gobiodon citrinus.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re really pretty too. Like no other goby looks like it.
Also the only fish I’ve kept (and I’ve kept a ton) where you can easily see a clear difference in personality from one citron to another. It’s a real trip - Sunny is ornery and stubborn, Limon was outgoing and mischievous. If you have aggressive fish they’ll be more timid and you won’t see it as much.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be an interesting experiment. I’d imagine that being similar enough, it might be possible and might happen in the wild when they share SPS branches.
There’s a chance this method could also help with a citron that doesn’t eat - if one starts the other will probably pick it up from that. I would never do it unless you added both at the same time though - I might try it on the next one.

Also the other risk to this - you now have two potentially ornery fish who will pick at small polyps, and if one wouldnt do it and the other does it, theyre probably both doing it. My last green slimer met its maker from Limon, current green slimer still doing okay with Sunny.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think feeding habits are the missing link with lots of fish. Think about how many stories of chromis populations dwindling due to aggression. I also wonder if damsel aggression could be curbed with different feeding routines. Might all be because the way we feed is very unnatural and gives them a lot of free time to be bullying eachother while forcing them to compete more for food. Watch any video or go diving to see how damsels feed in the wild. Constantly picking food out of the water coumn in the same way a mandarin eats pods on the rocks. They don't have time to fight and they don't need to because the food is a constant blanket. I hope to experiment one day with some sort of continuous feeding system.
Man I wish I could agree with that - but 5 years ago I started my first FOWLR and LFS recommended I start it with a couple yellowtail damsels. I kid you not these were the meanest fish I’ve ever seen after they were in the tank for a few months. Where some fish are bullies, these guys were out for blood, attacking peaceful fish, stressing out the tank. This was a 55gal too so room was plentiful.

I respect your love for damsels, but I would never keep one again. I’m a goby man now

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report Sunny is an active eater now! I feed frozen baby brine and frozen pods in a pipette - Ill blow a few clouds in front of him now and he eats it right up. So happy to have a solve for these guys - he won’t even look at mysis, not sure what the deal is with that

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! Hmm… Do I hunt for a Gobiodon unicolor to see if I can mix “similar” species or not
I say do it - gobies are pretty chill worst case they’ll just ignore each other, doubt they’d fight.

I used Reefs4Less on the last one after having terrible luck with LiveAquaria and they were nice and healthy. I would recommend only getting fish from LiveAquaria if its from their Wisconsin facility, if it ships from California its pretty hit or miss. LA’s support is great though, don’t want to hate on ‘em too bad cuz I do like what they do for the hobby.

Unfortunately having a nano eliminates the LFS - most LFS just carry the generic fish you see everywhere. You also have to be overly specific with the species you’re putting together if you want any chance at a peaceful tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! Hmm… Do I hunt for a Gobiodon unicolor to see if I can mix “similar” species or not
Update on this thread - about to have another citron not make it a year. Through my best efforts of trial and error I’ve been able to get him to eat, but even so like others before he just gets skinnier and skinnier until he’s flesh and bone. Really hard to watch and I have no idea what to do differently with these things. As much as I hate to say it I might have to give up on citrons soon :(

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back