Oldest Citron Goby?!

How old was your oldest citron/citrinis goby you’ve had?

• Under 6 Months

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Under 1 Year

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 1-2 Years

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 2-3 Years

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 3-4 Years

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 4+ Years - Must provide tips in comments lol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm in the minority here...

I've rarely wish a fish wouldn't make it, but this is one of them. Had never seen one before, my LFS had one, said it was reef safe, the one time I didn't google it, only to find out they love SPS corals.... After I put him in a tank that only has SPS corals in it.

Now he is harassing SPS colonies to literal death.

I wish I could get him out, but it's a largish tank with a complicated scape and lots of corals.

Not sure what to do now... He's so fast and relatively small (1.5"), it would be impossible to catch. I tried to see if I could stun him with a flashlight after the tank lights went out and snag him, but the little jerk immediately swam off and disappeared.

Totally my fault for not doing my homework, but I did purchase him at an established "reef store" so I thought I was getting good advice.

I have a fish trap, but he's way too skittish to fall for that and I'm clueless as what would even bait him that I could keep in the trap. Something tells me I would catch every other fish in there (probably 20), but him.

He apparently loves that sweet sweet coral slime, but that isn't something I can harvest and use as bait unfortunately.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They typically suck the coral slime as you have noticed. They rarely do damage, but can stress the coral into dying.

Never noticed any damage to my SPS colonies, but again I have large colonies, and small damage I probably wouldn't even notice.

A small barbless hook works too.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They typically suck the coral slime as you have noticed. They rarely do damage, but can stress the coral into dying.

Never noticed any damage to my SPS colonies, but again I have large colonies, and small damage I probably wouldn't even notice.

A small barbless hook works too.
Yeah, he's literally sucking the tissue off of two particular corals. At first I thought they were sick, then I saw him passing by from time to time and taking shots at them. You can literally see little round patches where he's attacking them. And it's only those two I've seen him pick at.

I thought about trying to hook him, but I have so many fish in there, I'm convinced I couldn't get close enough to him to take the bait without something else pouncing on it first.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, he's literally sucking the tissue off of two particular corals. At first I thought they were sick, then I saw him passing by from time to time and taking shots at them. You can literally see little round patches where he's attacking them. And it's only those two I've seen him pick at.

I thought about trying to hook him, but I have so many fish in there, I'm convinced I couldn't get close enough to him to take the bait without something else pouncing on it first.
Sorry been gone awhile and randomly wanted to come into this thread to pop an update. I am happy to report that my current citron Solly that I purchased from Seahorse Savvy is now coming up on 2 years old. I think I have found the trick and the trick is x-small TDO pellets. Mysis shrimp alone does not provide enough nutrition for fish longevity.

As far as picking SPS - I can confirm no acropora you try will make it with a citron or clown goby. They can’t help but to eat the polyps. You might have luck with a colony but forget about trying a frag it’ll be gone in a few weeks.

Personally I prefer coral with less maintenance - I dont want to spend my life worrying about keeping nutrients down I want my fish and coral thriving equally. In my opinion keeping SPS and fish is counterintuitive.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm in the minority here...

I've rarely wish a fish wouldn't make it, but this is one of them. Had never seen one before, my LFS had one, said it was reef safe, the one time I didn't google it, only to find out they love SPS corals.... After I put him in a tank that only has SPS corals in it.

Now he is harassing SPS colonies to literal death.

I wish I could get him out, but it's a largish tank with a complicated scape and lots of corals.

Not sure what to do now... He's so fast and relatively small (1.5"), it would be impossible to catch. I tried to see if I could stun him with a flashlight after the tank lights went out and snag him, but the little jerk immediately swam off and disappeared.

Totally my fault for not doing my homework, but I did purchase him at an established "reef store" so I thought I was getting good advice.

I have a fish trap, but he's way too skittish to fall for that and I'm clueless as what would even bait him that I could keep in the trap. Something tells me I would catch every other fish in there (probably 20), but him.

He apparently loves that sweet sweet coral slime, but that isn't something I can harvest and use as bait unfortunately.
If I had a dollar for every time an LFS gave me crap fish advice Id be rich. Yellowtail damsels are peaceful they said. Never again - always always always research fish before introducing so as not to introduce aggression or undesired consequences like polyp eating. Happens to us all - good learning experience.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry been gone awhile and randomly wanted to come into this thread to pop an update. I am happy to report that my current citron Solly that I purchased from Seahorse Savvy is now coming up on 2 years old. I think I have found the trick and the trick is x-small TDO pellets. Mysis shrimp alone does not provide enough nutrition for fish longevity.

As far as picking SPS - I can confirm no acropora you try will make it with a citron or clown goby. They can’t help but to eat the polyps. You might have luck with a colony but forget about trying a frag it’ll be gone in a few weeks.

Personally I prefer coral with less maintenance - I dont want to spend my life worrying about keeping nutrients down I want my fish and coral thriving equally. In my opinion keeping SPS and fish is counterintuitive.

What do you mean about having to keep nutrients down to maintain SPS? Many of us are targeting .1ppm these days and using fish/feeding to keep that number up since the skimmers and rollermats have gotten so efficient.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back