Oldest fish

Waterman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two 4-striped damsels that I got almost 16 years ago. I have a few others that have been in my tank a while: Navarchus angel (11 years), magnificent foxface (almost 9 years), sailfin tang and maroon clownfish (8 years).

Sadly lost one of the 4-stripe damsels recently at about 17 years. Still have the rest a year later, aged 9-17 years.

Has anyone had a coral banded shrimp that lived a long time? I've had one for about 3 years that I think killed all my other shrimp and crabs. Haven't been able to catch him yet. He never comes out when the lights are on, so I don't even get to enjoy his presence. I've seen sources online estimating longevity anywhere from 2 years to 7 years. I'm wondering if I should just let him live out his life or keep trying to remove him.

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents had an albino catfish they kept in an indoor 2ooo gallon pond for 27 years. It was the sole inhabitant.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have only been in the hobby for a couple of years mine isn't very old. I will have had my Melanurus Wrasse for 2 years in July.
It was originally in my 36 gallon bowfront for a few months until I upgraded to my current 90 gallon tank and is the only fish that is still around from the old setup.

Last edited:

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest is a marine betta.. I had it in a 55gal for a number of years and moved it to my 150gal when I moved 4 years ago. Its definitely around 10 years old (give or take a couple) and has been an awesome fish

Waterman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly lost one of the 4-stripe damsels recently at about 17 years. Still have the rest a year later, aged 9-17 years.

Has anyone had a coral banded shrimp that lived a long time? I've had one for about 3 years that I think killed all my other shrimp and crabs. Haven't been able to catch him yet. He never comes out when the lights are on, so I don't even get to enjoy his presence. I've seen sources online estimating longevity anywhere from 2 years to 7 years. I'm wondering if I should just let him live out his life or keep trying to remove him.
My aquarium and oldest fish just hit 20 years old. Current fish:

4-stripe damsel 20 years in tank
4 yellowtail damsels up to 20 years (I can't tell them apart)
navarchus angel 15 years
majestic foxface 13
red sea sailfin tang 12
maroon clownfish 12
aiptasia-eating filefish 2

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is my magnificent foxface that i got back in January 2020. he was 3.5 inch and is now 5 inch, one of the slowest growing fish i've owned (the CBB, who I got in March 2020, being my slowest grower).

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure, but my royal gramma was surrendered as an adult to my LFS, and had, and I quote the person there, "been here forever' when I picked it up. It doesn't have the look of an ancient fish but is probably over 5. It isn't faded or anything, but it does have a weathered look to it. How can you find out the age of a fish for sure?

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two percula clowns are over 16 years old. Don’t know how old when I bought them. Started out with 4. There the reason I won’t introduce any new fish. They’ve earned there comfort zone.just them , a royal gamma and a hippo. When I started a reef tank one of the books I read stated clowns could possibly live 10 years! That’s why I picked them. The kids were young and thought they would be a good choice. Four tanks and one move. still going strong

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a betta who is 3 and 1/2 years old
20211012_130442.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest invert/coral is my Chili coral, 4 years old now! Survived an ammonia spike, and several algae outbreaks. I’m still shocked at how it’s still kicking 4 years later.

Waterman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your Navarchus Angel after 15 years and what about your Foxface? How big did you start them as?
Navarchus angel and magnificent foxface (misnamed in my post) are both around 7", were probably around 6" when I got them. The sailfin tang grew from around 4" to a chunky 8+" now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back