OMG WHAT IS THIS?!

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see this in the last few days. This like cocoon looking thing. I posted a video as well as there are like tentacles coming out. I do have some spaghetti worms in my tank.

I hope this is good lol

Any ideas?

20210704_172809.jpg
20210704_172800.jpg

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I get the machine guns out? What do I do lol...still learning in this hobby. This tanks been thriving over a year and I STILL GOT QUESTIONS!!

I did Google "sponge looking white thing in reef" and saw similar...not harmful unless moves to around corals? If it starts to grow more how do I remove? Don't these things release toxins?

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I get the machine guns out? What do I do lol...still learning in this hobby. This tanks been thriving over a year and I STILL GOT QUESTIONS!!

I did Google "sponge looking white thing in reef" and saw similar...not harmful unless moves to around corals? If it starts to grow more how do I remove? Don't these things release toxins?
I wouldn't remove it unless it's causing a problem to your corals. (I know it's unsightly lol) I have a type of tube sponge in my tank and trying to remove it imo made it spread. Only way would be to remove the rock and cut it outside of the tank.(also very new to the hobby) not sure if I'm right but that's what I would do

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't remove it unless it's causing a problem to your corals. (I know it's unsightly lol) I have a type of tube sponge in my tank and trying to remove it imo made it spread. Only way would be to remove the rock and cut it outside of the tank.(also very new to the hobby) not sure if I'm right but that's what I would do
Care to share a pic? It is kind of ugly lol I thought it was a nest

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share a pic? It is kind of ugly lol I thought it was a nest
I'll take a pic when I get home tonight at 7. Also I just realized I have the same exact sponge as you in another area of my tank looks like a giant golf ball lol

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take a pic when I get home tonight at 7. Also I just realized I have the same exact sponge as you in another area of my tank looks like a giant golf ball lol
Cool! Ya man, I'm down for strange stuff popping up -- I'm realizing this is the hobby. Just as long as it doesn't nuke the tank, I'm good. I'll take ugly.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had a white sponge perhaps different species, for over twenty years.... doesn't grow quickly, in fact might even scale back a bit. If it gets invasive on anything, just carefully slice the portion off you dont want. Great filter feeders.

Puffthefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine slowly died rotted and I had to get it out of the tank
Hope you have better luck, mine caused a massive amount of ammonia when it died

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve heard using Fuel coral accelerator will shrink certain types of sponges. My LFS recommended it and every time I added it to my tank, the sponges shrank.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Ya man, I'm down for strange stuff popping up -- I'm realizing this is the hobby. Just as long as it doesn't nuke the tank, I'm good. I'll take ugly.
The "branching/tube" form of sponge in my tank. I hate it..... lol

Attachments

• 20210704_210525.jpg
    20210704_210525.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 21

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%

Back