? on portable refractometer

kimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to replace these after so many years? How long are they accurate for?

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for a couple of years. I clean it well every time I use it and as long as you keep it calibrated and it doesn't scratch you should be good for a long time. It's probably the best investment I've ever bought for my tank

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to replace these after so many years? How long are they accurate for?
As @FL_Reefer stated and there are no moving parts except the flip this over the viewer. They only reason one would have to replace a refractor would be is it was dropped or damaged.

OP
OP
kimba

kimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Okay, the lid is a little stiff when closing. When I first close it it's still up a bit by the hinge. Then I have to press it flat. If I don't, I get no reading. When I do press it flat, depending on how firmly I press I get a different reading.

It's about 6-8 yrs old now, so wasn't sure. I do wipe it with clean cloth before and after and obviously keep it in the box.

I am going to LFS today, maybe I will bring it and have them compare it with their readings.

Thanks guys

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stiffness of the hinges will effect the reading. What I do every so often is squirt a little WD40 into an aperitif glass (....it has a conical bottom). Using a toothpick, I dab WD40 on the hinge parts while moving the door back and forth. You actually feel it loosen up.

Note that you want to calibrate using refractometer calibration fluid (53mS). Don't use RO/DI water.

Hope this helps.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had mine years, and cant see any reason why I would need to replace it, ever. unless, I drop it, scratch the lens, or something silly.

I rinse the lens after use, dry it and store it back in the case. always use calibration solution and I calibrate it before every use(every water change and random monthly test).

lastly, I use a Veegee scientific brand, and love it! dont have to use a tool to calibrate, just twist! super easy to use and easy to read. I recommend it to all, even if it is a bit pricey, compared to others

OP
OP
kimba

kimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm back from LFS and he said it is a little wonky. He showed me how to use it to get an accurate reading.

I have never heard of calibration fluid, back when I got it, they told me RO water. I will get some next time I placean order.

Thanks guys

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm back from LFS and he said it is a little wonky. He showed me how to use it to get an accurate reading.

I have never heard of calibration fluid, back when I got it, they told me RO water. I will get some next time I placean order.

Thanks guys

dont use RODI, its not as effective as using the calibration solution, unless you are focusing on a very low SG. It makes sense to calibrate within the range of your sample. Using the solution is best, because it is a confirmed 35 ppt, close or at the ppt for our tanks.

Back