Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the fence about buying the $250

Apogee SQ-420 Smart Quantum Sensor​

41DB41YsvFL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I mean.... I know it's accurate.

But.... im questioning two things:

1) will this product stand up to years of use, if I only store and check lights 2x a year? Will the sensor go bad after a certain amount if time? Not sure how to properly clean and store it.

2) do I really need it? I have zoas/palys that get a fair amount of almost exclusively 420nm to 510nm blue light. No whites. Maybe a hint of red. Will it end up being an expensive toy where the results are, "well that's nice, but im not going to change my lighting much"

Thoughts?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Australia I cannot find anyone that rents par meters. I just can’t justify buying knowing I’d probably only use it once. But it would be a great tool to have.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would depend on how often you buy corals.

If you have a fully stocked tank then you probably won't be changing your lighting because trying to adjust your light to make one coral happy my anger another coral in which case i'd say it isn't worth it.

If you are constantly buying new corals then it could be used to determine placement of new corals and probably worth the cost.

Also, for zoas/palys only, its probably not worth it either way IMO because they're pretty easy to tell if they need more or less light.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass. Waste of $. Idk why i have to keep saying this. Lol.
Dim light. Bright light. I think coral can adapt and tolerate diffrent brightnesses of light. The par meter is just a number for the hard number ppl or number chasers.
My opinion and i mean no offense to anyone who owns 1.
D

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought one bc I have T5 lighting and will be using it for checking to monitor for PAR decreases. However...that's my excuse. It's a toy that I'll enjoy playing with. LOL

Back