Once again I'm freaking out, clownfish acting weird!

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before you dose metroplex and Focus, you need to understand that the dosage for that isn't controlled and almost always is wrong (on the low side). Even their own instructions don't match - at one point they say 5:1 and on the bottle it says 1:1

Metronidazole needs to be dosed at 5000 ppm in food, and at that level it is very bitter and many fish will not eat it.

Take a look at this article first:

Jay
Here's a video of the fish today... do you see a glimmer of hope?

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And I can say with close to absolute certainty, these two fish have decided to reverse roles. I don't see the white spots that were visible two days ago, either.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the wiggling/side-swiping? That is aggression. Pair bonding in clownfish can get kind of weird. It is like they have a love/hate relationship - they are hanging out together, but then swiping at each other. This causes skin damage.

If the fish are both eating, I think you need to separate them and see how things progress.

Jay

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
See the wiggling/side-swiping? That is aggression. Pair bonding in clownfish can get kind of weird. It is like they have a love/hate relationship - they are hanging out together, but then swiping at each other. This causes skin damage.

If the fish are both eating, I think you need to separate them and see how things progress.

Jay
I do, but this is totally normal for this pair. They've been together for 2.5 years and have always had a love/ hate relationship. When you say separate them, does that mean as in forever or for a week? I have two options... set up a qt tank and move one to it or I also have a small cube used to introduce fish into DT. I really appreciate your advice! I'm following along the cyanide thread you are helping with also so I know you're a busy dude with way more than my problems to deal with.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
Haha check this out!

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last comment on this thread for me... this was clearly NOT brooklynella!!!

Glad to hear! Just a little anecdote, about a month or two before my clowns first started spawning, they started fighting. They'd been together for about the same amount of time as your guys. Scuffed scales on both fish and one very confused male clown who was suddenly not welcome in the cave. Lasted a few days. And then last month we started seeing eggs every two weeks so I can only guess it was some awkward transition to maturity. It seems clowns will be clowns. Love the crazy dorsal fin on your clown.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last comment on this thread for me... this was clearly NOT brooklynella!!!

Like Jaws ramming Quint's boat, that is one psycho clownfish. I think it has become more of a hate/hate relationship. Now the issue is that spike may damage it's snout hitting the isolation tank......

Jay

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like Jaws ramming Quint's boat, that is one psycho clownfish. I think it has become more of a hate/hate relationship. Now the issue is that spike may damage it's snout hitting the isolation tank......

Jay
I will keep an eye on "Spike" and work on a contingency plan. Thanks Jay!

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Separated the fish. They are both back to 100% ...really don't want to get rid of one, so I suppose I'm going to set up another reef tank now. Partly glad, partly not. I'll give them probably a month apart and see if they decide to get along or not. If they go back to killing each other, separate they shall remain.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back