One dead clownfish, white stringy poop on the other

agnesmattsson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
We recently added our first fish to our cycled red sea 170 aquarium.
Yesterday one of our clownfish died after refusing to eat for 24 hours, hiding and having white stringy poop.

Today we noticed that our other fish also has white stringy poop, she is still eating fine, but she seems a lot calmer than yesterday.

I think this could be from a bacterial infection or a parasite.
All water parameters are pristine and the tank is well cycled using Dr Tims fishless cycling protocol.

Can we save this fish?

20230719_133607(0).jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Did you see any rapid breathing in the fish?
What is the actual ammonia level?
How long had the clownfish been in the tank before the symptoms began?

Jay

OP
OP
A

agnesmattsson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Did you see any rapid breathing in the fish?
What is the actual ammonia level?
How long had the clownfish been in the tank before the symptoms began?

Jay
Hi,
No rapid breathing and the ammonia is zero tested with both solutions and permanent test card in the tank.

The clownfish had been in teh tank for 6 days before the first on died

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
No rapid breathing and the ammonia is zero tested with both solutions and permanent test card in the tank.

The clownfish had been in teh tank for 6 days before the first on died

Well then, it could be an internal protozoan disease related to Hexamita. That is difficult to treat because an oral medication is best, but that is difficult to dose accurately. You'll read, "mix the medication with the food" - but the dose is never given, and that cannot work. The medication to use would be metronidazole, and in the food, it is dosed at 0.5% by weight. Of course, sick fish often don't eat, then you need to dose the water (marine fish will drink water, and take up the medication that way). Two products could be use; Metroplex or General Cure. Both are best used in a hospital tank, but if your tank only has this one fish in it, you could dose it there.

Jay

OP
OP
A

agnesmattsson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then, it could be an internal protozoan disease related to Hexamita. That is difficult to treat because an oral medication is best, but that is difficult to dose accurately. You'll read, "mix the medication with the food" - but the dose is never given, and that cannot work. The medication to use would be metronidazole, and in the food, it is dosed at 0.5% by weight. Of course, sick fish often don't eat, then you need to dose the water (marine fish will drink water, and take up the medication that way). Two products could be use; Metroplex or General Cure. Both are best used in a hospital tank, but if your tank only has this one fish in it, you could dose it there.

Jay
Thank you,
We got recommended by one of our local LFS to do a freshwater dip for no more than 5 minutes so we have done that now. It looked like something was in the water after this was done. We also got recommended to do a big water change so that is also on the way.
Do you think medication is also good?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you,
We got recommended by one of our local LFS to do a freshwater dip for no more than 5 minutes so we have done that now. It looked like something was in the water after this was done. We also got recommended to do a big water change so that is also on the way.
Medicate with general Cure as mentioned which contains metronidazole

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you,

A freshwater dip is often tossed out there to try because they are easy to do. However, these will not have any benefit in treating internal disease issues, so I'm afraid the LFS was just grasping at straws here.

Jay

OP
OP
A

agnesmattsson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip is often tossed out there to try because they are easy to do. However, these will not have any benefit in treating internal disease issues, so I'm afraid the LFS was just grasping at straws here.

Jay
We thought it was worth a shot and the fish is actually doing much better. We have also talked to the LFS were we purchased the fish and they have not seen issues in other fishes and they have been properly quarantined before they were sold to us.
It might be due to overfeeding and constipation so we're are trying to resolve this now and just hoping for the best.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these symptoms are happening to my wrasse that I’ve had for 2 yrs. White stringy poop and he is not eating. I won’t be able to catch him unfortunately and I have a full reef setup. Any thoughts

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these symptoms are happening to my wrasse that I’ve had for 2 yrs. White stringy poop and he is not eating. I won’t be able to catch him unfortunately and I have a full reef setup. Any thoughts

That's very rare in long term captive fish. If you can't catch it and it isn't eating, I'm afraid there isn't anything you can do other than observe it and hope it gets better on its own.

Jay

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very rare in long term captive fish. If you can't catch it and it isn't eating, I'm afraid there isn't anything you can do other than observe it and hope it gets better on its own.

Jay
Okay. He was hiding for three days not eating. He finally came out today and that’s when I notice the stringy poop. I tried feeding pellets and even flakes but normally feed house made food with scallops, oysters, shrimp, mussels and cod, selcon, fresh garlic, spiranella

hope he will pull through. Appreciate your guidance

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back