One more fish or don't upset the apple cart

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently on the fence about adding one last fish to the tank. I have a 65 rimless mixed reef. Below are the current inhabitants, am I at capacity or is one more suitable fish ok?

Randall goby with a candy cane pistol
Possum wrasse
Barnacle blenny - haven't seen in over a year but probably hanging in the back out of sight
Mandarin
Potters angel
Blue flasher wrasse
Hermits, cleaner & sexy shrimp

Would another small flasher wrasse or small fairy wrasse be ok? I tried an Earlei last year & he was pushy with the mandarin so he went back to the store.

Thinking maybe a pintail if I can find one or another flasher. Not sure that a pink streaked would be ok with the activity level of the angel. I do have an acclimation box & the possum is the boss of the blue flasher.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently on the fence about adding one last fish to the tank. I have a 65 rimless mixed reef. Below are the current inhabitants, am I at capacity or is one more suitable fish ok?

Randall goby with a candy cane pistol
Possum wrasse
Barnacle blenny - haven't seen in over a year but probably hanging in the back out of sight
Mandarin
Potters angel
Blue flasher wrasse
Hermits, cleaner & sexy shrimp

Would another small flasher wrasse or small fairy wrasse be ok? I tried an Earlei last year & he was pushy with the mandarin so he went back to the store.

Thinking maybe a pintail if I can find one or another flasher. Not sure that a pink streaked would be ok with the activity level of the angel. I do have an acclimation box & the possum is the boss of the blue flasher.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't add another flasher or a fairy wrasse.

If you haven't seen the barnacle blenny, then I would lean towards the chance that he passed. If all else fails he should be zipping out of his cover at feeding time.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say go for a "peaceful" fairy wrasse, there is an awesome chart on here that lists the different complex based on relation to other complex and aggression. Very helpful! I think a pintail would be cool, I've been on the lookout for one myself ;)

Edit. Here's the post with the chart I was talking about.
Cirrhilabrus Complexes: Inferiority Need Not Apply

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php...Complexes:-Inferiority-Need-Not-Apply.259074/

Last edited:

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely add more fish. I'd just make sure to QT him!

OP
OP
Fish Biscuit

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the local lfs if they are able to order a lunate or a johnson fairy wrasse. Right now they have a brunneus in stock so if it still there when I get back from vacation I might go with that depending on if they can order one of the others.

I saw the chart & it's a huge help along with the article on the different wrasses & personality traits.

I do see an occasional zip in the tank which I'm sure is the blenny. There are so many hiding places it's not uncommon for me not to see it for months at a time & all of a sudden he's out in the front of the tank.

OP
OP
Fish Biscuit

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the lfs & the brunneus is gone. The Johnson & lunate have not been available to order.

They said my best option would be to go with 2 flashers & skip the fairies. They are trying to get a bells so I will see what happens with that.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Tail Flasher would be a good option since you're able to go high end. There are Bells flashers around but haven't seen a Diamond Tail in a while.

OP
OP
Fish Biscuit

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously tried a diamondtail & lost it. It was very aggressive towards the mandarin so I'm not going try another one even though the next one might be different.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back