One of a Kind Copperband

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I wanted to share my experience with Copperband butterfly fish. About a year ago I gave my buddy a Copperband. My tank exploded with aiptasia and long story short I got him back and he is healthy nice and fat.

He decimated not only aiptasia but all of my chalice , and meat coral… what an expensive Copperband!

I decided to keep him because I can always buy more coral but I can’t always remove aiptasia this easy. I mean not a single aiptasia in eye sight.

This week I put seaweed on the clip to feed my herd of tangs and the Copperband began to feast off of Julian Sprungs seaweed. I never seen a Copperband feast off seaweed?

I hope he lives a long healthy life in my tank. From my observation he is unique in his own ways. Not only for eradicating aiptasia but coral too!

I’ve decided to go back to SPS dominant since the SPS has been left alone.

Reef on !

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried San Francisco Bay Angel & Butterfly Fish Frozen Formula? I don’t have any Butterfly Fish, they are on my list. All my Fish go nuts over this Formula.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is finicky Picks at the rocks all day but only eats frozen mysis and mastick after a year. I have mostly sps but have three clams that I want to move to the tank he is in but I'm afraid he'll developing a liking for clam. I did keep a big aconthophylia and trachophylia for several months and they weren't bothered.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Mine is finicky Picks at the rocks all day but only eats frozen mysis and mastick after a year. I have mostly sps but have three clams that I want to move to the tank he is in but I'm afraid he'll developing a liking for clam. I did keep a big aconthophylia and trachophylia for several months and they weren't bothered.
Wow he would target those clams as clams is naturally what they eat .

Have you tried San Francisco Bay Angel & Butterfly Fish Frozen Formula? I don’t have any Butterfly Fish, they are on my list. All my Fish go nuts over this Formula.
I’m going to look it up. Yes I have before !

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow he would target those clams as clams is naturally what they eat .
Ya kind of what I'm thinking. Ive had a lot of folks say they keep clams with a CBB but I don't have the nerve to try it. Mine follows me everywhere around the tank begging for food. He would probably love me if I drop a nice maxima or derasa in for him.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share my experience with Copperband butterfly fish. About a year ago I gave my buddy a Copperband. My tank exploded with aiptasia and long story short I got him back and he is healthy nice and fat.

He decimated not only aiptasia but all of my chalice , and meat coral… what an expensive Copperband!

I decided to keep him because I can always buy more coral but I can’t always remove aiptasia this easy. I mean not a single aiptasia in eye sight.

This week I put seaweed on the clip to feed my herd of tangs and the Copperband began to feast off of Julian Sprungs seaweed. I never seen a Copperband feast off seaweed?

I hope he lives a long healthy life in my tank. From my observation he is unique in his own ways. Not only for eradicating aiptasia but coral too!

Reef on !

You should post a photo of it. Just thinking about it since I've had a bunch of copperbands and never had one eat any coral whatsoever, (or algae for that matter)... But there is one variant of butterfly that is very similar looking to copperbands, that is also an aptasia monster but would certainly eat coral and other things, also said to be much hardier. The name escapes me at the moment but I'm sure someone will chime in.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But there is one variant of butterfly that is very similar looking to copperbands, that is also an aptasia monster but would certainly eat coral and other things, also said to be much hardier.
Maybe thinking of Chelmon marginalis but I have literally never seen them for sale anywhere ever.

Edit: Apparently quality marine has them and the muelleri but that doesn't mean you can actually get them.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
You should post a photo of it. Just thinking about it since I've had a bunch of copperbands and never had one eat any coral whatsoever, (or algae for that matter)... But there is one variant of butterfly that is very similar looking to copperbands, that is also an aptasia monster but would certainly eat coral and other things, also said to be much hardier. The name escapes me at the moment but I'm sure someone will chime in.
IMG_4824.png

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ordinary copperband. Beautiful fish. Guess you just got a weird one. Better eating seaweed than coral! I had a yellow tang that ate all my acans. Had them together for years first then one day - ate them all.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im lucky enough to have three in three different tanks. Two are absolute pigs. They eat anything I put into the tank. My frozen food mix is loaded with nori and they both will gobble it up if it gets in front of them. My third one has only been with me a little over a month and is still a bit timid. They are one of my all time favorites. Such a great personality who beg like a little puppy dog for food
Jeff

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband has never ate seaweed, but after spending a year weaning him off of live food he started happily devouring anything frozen I put in the tank. He meets me at the surface to be first to eat and is now probably my most aggressive eater.
I had a copperband in the past that ate my hammer corals, but I was never able to get that one to eat. So I am convinced it was starvation that made him go after corals.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband turns five years old Feb.1. He eats every type of food that goes into the tank, and his favorite is live black worms. When he sees me, he comes to the top of the tank and begs for food. Thankfully, he has never touched a coral.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My copperband turns five years old Feb.1. He eats every type of food that goes into the tank, and his favorite is live black worms. When he sees me, he comes to the top of the tank and begs for food. Thankfully, he has never touched a coral.
Where do u buy live black worms

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do u buy live black worms
Used to be able to buy them online but I've been looking all over and now here has them. There is a lfs here in Manchester CT that has them, $50 per 1/4 cup. Not even a reef store, just a general pet store but they sell Discus I think so that is probably why. Definitely the best thing for getting finicky fish eating, if you can find them.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef on !
Bought my first copperband 10 days ago after watching him eat enthusiastically in the LFS for several months.
He's wolfing down masstick & mysis & munched through all aiptasia.
Amazing fish with big personalities.
It's a grail fish for a lot of people including me.
Hope you enjoy yours for many years!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back