One of clowns died

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clownfish died over the summer when my friends were watching the tank and now I have one lone clown. I feel bad for her. Is there anything I can introduce into the tank.. Can I pair it with another clownfish?

Marcus_Alexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but she may be incredibly aggressive at first. Make sure you get one that is much smaller than her to pair her with. Also if you put the new clown in a breeder box when you get it home you can see how she will take to it without worrying about her beating it up.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but she may be incredibly aggressive at first. Make sure you get one that is much smaller than her to pair her with. Also if you put the new clown in a breeder box when you get it home you can see how she will take to it without worrying about her beating it up.
I will try this later. Thanks!

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small pair, he would be able to get that much smaller.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown that was a little too aggressive while trying to host my euphyllias, they would never extend out all the way because of the fish's excessive "clownfish jitters". I scooped that clown out and traded it for a smaller one and my older, bigger female acted like nothing happened. Now I have zero issues with them hosting the euphyllias and they get along well.

Hopefully everything works out with your new one, it's always worrisome to lose a clownfish since they have the reputation of being practically the hardiest fish ever in reef aquariums.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown that was a little too aggressive while trying to host my euphyllias, they would never extend out all the way because of the fish's excessive "clownfish jitters". I scooped that clown out and traded it for a smaller one and my older, bigger female acted like nothing happened. Now I have zero issues with them hosting the euphyllias and they get along well.

Hopefully everything works out with your new one, it's always worrisome to lose a clownfish since they have the reputation of being practically the hardiest fish ever in reef aquariums.
I know what happened.. My friends were watching the tank over the summer (doing nothing).. I got back to a NASTY tank

Ive also have had a couple weird experiences with my clowns. I found one in the sump after I thought he was dead for weeks, but the chamber he was in was impossible for a fish to swim into. He would have had to go through filter socks, pads, and grates to get there.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.
You can get an anemone for the clown if you have the necessary lighting. Otherwise a mate would be good (assuming they get along)

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.
You can get an anemone for the clown if you have the necessary lighting. Otherwise a mate would be good (assuming they get along)
Thank you. It sucks to lose your first fish doesnt it. Im not ready for an anemone so I think im going to get another clown.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back