One of my bluestreak sleeper gobies are hiding! Why?

BlenniesAndTangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 bluestreak sleepers about 1-3 weeks ago. Suddenly my girl sleeper (Thinking its a girl, She looks like one a lot!) went hiding.

These 2 sleepers are mated, and sleep together. Yet when I try looking inside their little burrow (under a rock) the boy goby always runs back and hangs out, protecting his girlfriend. ( She suddenly went hiding 1 day ago! She wont come out.)

I'm really wondering whats going on! My melanurus wrasse (dead) also lived with them, because i'm guessing the sleeper gobies offered to protect him in the home.

And why? The melanurus was being bitten and seemed sick (parasites?) We have a cleaner wrasse, and obviously every single fish in the tank has gotten cleaned by him.

Thinking its either shes pregnant, or she may be sick and has gotten sickness passed onto her. No, I'm not one of those people who think my fish are pregnant because their fat.

I'm on computer, therefore I cannot give any photos to show you their house.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has she been eating? A lot of times stress of a new enclosure will make them hide in one spot until they feel comfortable with the tank/tank mates. Make sure she’s eating and I would buy another melanurus wrasse could also be depression I’ve seen a watchman gobby die from that because his pistol shrimp died I would does the tank lightly with a deparicitic formula. As far as pregnancy goes it’s possible but unlikely they usually don’t breed until there completely comfortable in there tank. What are her tank mates any aggressive/semi aggressive fish this could also be the answer.!!

OP
OP
BlenniesAndTangs

BlenniesAndTangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has she been eating? A lot of times stress of a new enclosure will make them hide in one spot until they feel comfortable with the tank/tank mates. Make sure she’s eating and I would buy another melanurus wrasse could also be depression I’ve seen a watchman gobby die from that because his pistol shrimp died I would does the tank lightly with a deparicitic formula. As far as pregnancy goes it’s possible but unlikely they usually don’t breed until there completely comfortable in there tank. What are her tank mates any aggressive/semi aggressive fish this could also be the answer.!!
Shes been eating before she went hiding. We couldn't find her after she went hiding, and theres no mean tank mates that dislike her, or her boyfriend. She always sand sifted and moved houses with her boyfriend, But than its so sudden how she just went hiding. As when we shine the torch into their burrow, the boy goby runs from across the tank and blocks the view, like i said he just death stares at me. Plus, she's gotten comfortable living with her boyfriend, and as far as I know theres plenty of bugs for them to eat in the sand. She used to always run around the tank looking for her boyfriend so she could sand sift with him, basically hes the only thing thats keeping her safe. Infact, When we got those two we didn't expect them to be mates as it was a surprise. We only thought they were normal tank mates, and not a pair.

OP
OP
BlenniesAndTangs

BlenniesAndTangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We moved the rock 2 days ago, her corpse was buried in the sand :( Poor girl, My boy goby looks really lonely now...

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We moved the rock 2 days ago, her corpse was buried in the sand :( Poor girl, My boy goby looks really lonely now...
Sorry to hear that sounds like she was very sick I would definitely treat the tank before buying another one. Also that being said I would buy another female once the tank is treated. Sorry for your loss!!!

OP
OP
BlenniesAndTangs

BlenniesAndTangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that sounds like she was very sick I would definitely treat the tank before buying another one. Also that being said I would buy another female once the tank is treated. Sorry for your loss!!!
Boy goby died from the same thing a few days ago. Ever since we had taken out girl goby he didnt wan't to eat, it's possibly that they died from starvation. Not sure why because it was so sudden, and boy goby was still sifting when she was in there, sick?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back