One Year of Carbon Dosing

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year ago I started carbon dosing my fish only aquarium. There were no issues in the four year old aquarium that carbon dosing might address. I just wanted to learn more about the procedure that uses carbon to increase bacteria growth, and possibly, develop a simple test that might assist in selecting the daily dose size. My plan was to start at a low dose and spend the year increasing the dose and monitoring aquarium parameters. Nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, organic carbon level, skimmer performance, and Caulerpa production were measured weekly. Oxygen and pH were monitored in a few small scale experiments

Calcium acetate was my choice for a carbon source. I read that ethanol might stimulate cyanobacteria growth, and as far as I could determine, acetic acid work just as well. I didn’t like adding acid to a bicarbonate buffer system and decided to mix solid kalkwasser with vinegar to make a basic solution of calcium acetate.

Observations became a bit confounded towards the end of the year. I decided the fish needed more room and the resulting system changes complicated the comparison of early results with those near the end of year. The changes included connecting a 75 gallon tank to the existing 40 gallon tank with an illuminated 10 gallon sump. Then the rocks and half the old substrate were moved to the new tank. New substrate was added and the fish were moved. A new 10 gallon dark sump was added and then the 40 gallon tank was removed from the system. Charts are marked when the 40 gallon tank was disconnected. Below is a summary of my observations on carbon dosing.

Effect on Alkalinity

I started with a low daily dose of calcium acetate, 0.08 mL/gallon, followed by days of observation before increasing it slightly. The “Alkalinity Consumption Rate” chart shows how daily doses progressed in size and the effect it had on alkalinity consumption (expressed as a negative number). Average daily alkalinity consumption for my system before dosing was 0.1 meq/L and quite variable. Once dosing started, the variability seemed to suddenly decrease. Because acetate when metabolized produces one bicarbonate, the average daily alkalinity consumption slowly decreased. When the daily dose of acetate reached 0.1 meq/L, the alkalinity consumption rate became positive and the alkalinity began to increase.

To demonstrate that the alkalinity effect was a result of the acetate alkalinity, at day 1680 the dose was changed in steps from 100% acetate to 100% acetic acid while keeping the total amount of the carbon added per day constant. The average daily alkalinity consumption decreased to about half the pre-dosing levels and with seemingly less variability. At the point in time marked with an arrow, the old 40 gallon tank was removed.

Dosing was then increased more quickly because of a rapid increase in nitrate level, likely a result of disconnecting the 40 gallon tank. The maximum daily dose achieved was 2 mL/gallon per day. Within days of reaching this dose and reducing the nitrate level, dosing was abruptly stopped.

5A497CD9-0FC1-4EA3-84B6-F1F781B52173.jpeg

Effect on Nitrate.

As stated above, my system was not experiencing elevated levels of nitrate and phosphate (see “Nitrate Concentration and Acetate Dosing” chart). Not until a sharp rise in nitrate concentration around day 1720 (see arrow) could acetate induced nitrate consumption be observed.

In the mean time, a series of small scale experiments were performed with the objective of determining the consumption rates for nitrate, acetate and phosphate. In a typical experiment, calcium acetate was added to a sample of aquarium water to give an acetate concentration of 4 mM. This corresponded to a single 19 mL dose of vinegar per gallon of aquarium water. When the aquarium water nitrate concentration was too low for experiments, the sample was spiked with a solution of sodium nitrate. In early experiments, phosphate was discovered to increase nitrate consumption, decreasing the time for elimination of nitrate from about a month to within a week. Additional studies with increasing amounts of phosphate demonstrated a substantial positive impact on the nitrate consumption rate. Dosed iron did not seem to change the nitrate consumption rate.

2ACF57C9-8D37-48DA-9CAB-D21550E9E64A.jpeg

A trend that proved consistent throughout this study was the large amount of acetate consumed compared to that of nitrate (see “Acetate and Nitrate Consumption Rates” chart). In some experiments, acetate was consumed with little or no nitrate reduction. As a reference point, when acetate is being consumed solely for anaerobic reduction of nitrate to nitrogen gas, the rates of consumption of acetate and nitrate are nearly the same.

74B97275-A9A5-4CFF-A135-484BA228240B.jpeg

Similar to small experiment acetate consumption rates, a large amount of acetate was dosed to the aquarium to consume nitrate (see “Acetic Acid Needed to Consume Nitrate” chart). Acetate dosed to the aquarium to reduce the nitrate at day 1760 was 8 mM, compared to the corresponding nitrate reduction of 0.37 mM. During this time, 0.0009 mM of phosphate was consumed. Nutrient ratios for this event were C:N 43 and N:p 434.

F087FDB5-A0C5-4A83-9F26-6CA5FC91959A.png

Effect on Caulerpa Harvest.

Caulerpa growing in a ten gallon refugium is used to help control nitrate and phosphate levels. Did carbon dosing have a measurable impact on Caulerpa productivity? The “Caulerpa Harvest” plot shows the running total of the Caulerpa harvest through the dosing period. Except for a slow down about half way through the dosing period, acetate dosing did not seem to have an impact. Not shown in this data, however, is the die back of the Caulerpa and increased growth of hair algae in the sump after dosing concluded. The Caulerpa normally cycles through high and low growth periods, but the level of die back this time was complete. Coincidence? New tank issue? Dosing consequence?

A1AC0674-15DE-4F3A-AE38-625DA8BB2BB7.jpeg

Effect on Glass Scraping Frequency

There was little change in how often I cleaned the glass until the daily dose neared 2 mL per gallon. At the top dose, the sides needed cleaning every several days.

The nature of the growth was not slimy but rather a drier material, leading me to initially think think it was a calcium precipitate. Since it didn’t dissolve in acid, I concluded this was bacteria. After the last dose, I did not remove the white film that accumulated, but observed it for a week a period of a week. The white film became thinner within days of ending the daily dose of acetic acid. The clearing process was uneven and splotchy, with definite areas clearing faster than others along with small areas distinctly circular and clear.

Effect on Organic Matter Level

I have been exploring the use of chlorine consumption as an indicator of the level of organic matter in the water as a way to judge when to add fresh GAC. The “Chlorine Consumption by Marine Aquarium Water” chart shows the trend in chlorine consumption during dosing. The red “X’s” indicate the addition of the 75 gallon tank, the 10 gallon dark sump and the removal of the 40 gallon tank, respectively. Two increasing chlorine consumption trends seem to be related to dosing, the rise in chlorine consumption corresponding to the increase in daily dose of vinegar and the large spike after the abrupt cessation of dosing. Because of all the changes to the system during the first trend, the link between rising chlorine demand and increasing daily dose is not conclusive. The situation is a little more straightforward for linking the spike in chlorine demand and the abrupt cessation of dosing. The sudden loss of organic carbon could have led to a bacterial population crash that could not be rapidly cleared by the GAC and skimmer. After about 30 days the chlorine consumption had returned to normal.

1E9BC724-962C-4F3D-9C7D-06F8ABC47524.jpeg

Conclusion. I had hoped to gather enough information to develop a simple test for predicting the organic carbon dose that would be needed to reduce a given nitrate level. What I found was that a large amount of acetate is consumed relative to nitrate and that acetate is consumed even during periods of undetectable nitrate consumption. Also, the small scale experiments designed with a single large dose of acetate provided no information about the amount of acetate needed to start the process of nitrate reduction. Is a large initial dose an option for aquariums? This work does not provide an answer, although rarely did the large single dose turn experiment samples turn cloudy. Phosphate turned out to be important to nitrate consumption on small scale and might be similarly important in aquariums.

I am left to ponder whether carbon dosing can begin at 2 mL per gallon per day when dosing vinegar and should it include phosphate when it is low in the aquarium or when there is little progress in nitrate reduction?

855546D4-56A2-4884-9F34-659A8BF4460A.jpeg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative. thanks for sharing this information.
After reading through this, i have more questions about this topic, which is a very good sign. I want to run some similar experiments in future...

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative. thanks for sharing this information.
After reading through this, i have more questions about this topic, which is a very good sign. I want to run some similar experiments in future...

Happy to share more details about what I learned so you don’t have to waste your experimental budget relearning what I already did or didn’t.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really, really nice. We attribute all sorts of things that happen in our systems to bacterial effects, but they are so difficult to observe and directly connect effects to bacteria that we have very little data to back up our suppositions.
Like, there's strong disagreement about really fundamental bacterial questions: are the kinds of bacteria we get by carbon dosing "desirable" bacteria? Should a reef tank even want high bacterial counts in the water? or do we just want them to get our nutrients to better levels?
So we kinda throw up our hands and say "bacteria is important"
This is a huge effort on that front. Lots to be mined here.

A few comments, but I'll start with this one.
Can you help unpack the alkalinity bit for me? I get that the breakdown of the added Acetate produces carbonate and therefore contributes alk.
I don't get how to think of the Red dots, green dots and blue dots in a way that connects to the dosing.
Red represents "alkalinity decreases sometimes significantly - big negative - and sometimes not at all - near zero"? any hypothesis for how the presence of a carbon dose locked the alkalinity pattern into a solid predictable daily rate? (transition from red to green)

Oh, and an easy question: can you give us lazy folks a ballpark carbon equivalent for what your max Acetate dose and your max acetic acid dose in terms of say mL of vinegar or vodka per system volume? (I think it's big, but I didn't do the homework to check.)

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really, really nice. We attribute all sorts of things that happen in our systems to bacterial effects, but they are so difficult to observe and directly connect effects to bacteria that we have very little data to back up our suppositions.
Like, there's strong disagreement about really fundamental bacterial questions: are the kinds of bacteria we get by carbon dosing "desirable" bacteria? Should a reef tank even want high bacterial counts in the water? or do we just want them to get our nutrients to better levels?
So we kinda throw up our hands and say "bacteria is important"
This is a huge effort on that front. Lots to be mined here.

A few comments, but I'll start with this one.
Can you help unpack the alkalinity bit for me? I get that the breakdown of the added Acetate produces carbonate and therefore contributes alk.
I don't get how to think of the Red dots, green dots and blue dots in a way that connects to the dosing.
Red represents "alkalinity decreases sometimes significantly - big negative - and sometimes not at all - near zero"? any hypothesis for how the presence of a carbon dose locked the alkalinity pattern into a solid predictable daily rate? (transition from red to green)

Oh, and an easy question: can you give us lazy folks a ballpark carbon equivalent for what your max Acetate dose and your max acetic acid dose in terms of say mL of vinegar or vodka per system volume? (I think it's big, but I didn't do the homework to check.)

OK, the easy question first. The maximum daily doses: 0.5 mL/gallon calcium acetate and 2 mL/gallon acetic acid.

The tough question. Funny, I asked Randy a similar question.

Coral absorption of alkalinity aside, we might expect alkalinity to be relatively constant because of what we know about the nitrogen cycle. When ammonia is oxidized to nitrate, the alkalinity decreases, but when nitrate is consumed, the alkalinity is returned to the system. Unless the system has a constantly rising nitrate level, alkalinity would be stable. The nitrogen cycle cannot explain variable alkalinity consumption without there also being variable nitrate levels.

There are two more metabolic pathways we might add to the nitrogen cycle which involves heterotrophic bacteria and algae. They both shunt ammonia away from the nitrogen cycle to make biomass, also consuming alkalinity in the process. Both consume alkalinity at about the same rate when they consume ammonia which is about half as much as nitrifying bacteria consume oxidizing ammonia. With three major pathways competing for ammonia and a less than rigorous control of food input into my aquarium, might we entertain the possibility that alkalinity consumption is not constant?

If alkalinity consumption is normally variable (red dots in “Alkalinity Consumption Rate”), why would adding acetate stabilize alkalinity consumption? I would guess that by feeding the heterotrophic bacteria, they become the major ammonia consumers, ending a chaotic struggle between heterotrophs and nitrifying bacteria. The apparent decrease in the alkalinity consumption when dosing just begins (green dots), when the added amount of alkalinity from the acetate was very small, could support the notion that the biofilter was shifting away from one largely composed of alkalinity consuming autotrophs to one dominated by the lower consumers of alkalinity, the heterotrophic bacteria.

The continued increase in acetate dose did start to have a noticeable impact on alkalinity, increasing it to 4 meq/L. At that point I started to switch from acetate to acetic acid dosing while keeping the total amount of organic carbon constant. This switch reversed the trend in alkalinity consumption (blue dots). It will be interesting to see what happens to alkalinity consumption in the new system, after taking into account any changes in nitrate level which the system now has.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nice write up. :)

I'm sure you know this, but folks should not be misled by the graph titled "acetate consumption rate" to think that if you added more, it wouldn't be consumed. It is a rate determined by what you added, not what might be consumed if you added more. :)

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nice write up. :)

I'm sure you know this, but folks should not be misled by the graph titled "acetate consumption rate" to think that if you added more, it wouldn't be consumed. It is a rate determined by what you added, not what might be consumed if you added more. :)

Agree!

Thanks for the compliment.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess that by feeding the heterotrophic bacteria, they become the major ammonia consumers, ending a chaotic struggle between heterotrophs and nitrifying bacteria. The apparent decrease in the alkalinity consumption when dosing just begins (green dots), when the added amount of alkalinity from the acetate was very small, could support the notion that the biofilter was shifting away from one largely composed of alkalinity consuming autotrophs to one dominated by the lower consumers of alkalinity, the heterotrophic bacteria.
great explanation. I want to piggy back on this and take it to the issue of Caulerpa harvest - your data looks like a slight but measurable decrease in the algae harvest during the period when carbon dosing. That has also been my sense but I never put any numbers behind it. Do you think the mechanism might be the same? Carbon dosing means that most of the short-lived ammonia produced in our systems goes toward bacteria instead of algae, and that this might slightly affect algae growth?

The nature of the growth was not slimy but rather a drier material, leading me to initially think think it was a calcium precipitate. Since it didn’t dissolve in acid, I concluded this was bacteria. After the last dose, I did not remove the white film that accumulated, but observed it for a week a period of a week. The white film became thinner within days of ending the daily dose of acetic acid. The clearing process was uneven and splotchy, with definite areas clearing faster than others along with small areas distinctly circular and clear.
I have seen similar when I set up new dirty systems and let them cycle through films on the glass. When the clearing circles started forming in the films, microscope view of the margins where the circle was expanding showed many ciliates. Ciliates being bacteria-vores, may be the cause of the clearing circles, or they may be following the path of bacterial death as it expands out and cleaning up behind it.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we kinda throw up our hands and say "bacteria is important"

I love this quote above.

Excellent work @Dan_P and thanks everyone for getting my non-chemist brain moving with a dialogue I could follow.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great explanation. I want to piggy back on this and take it to the issue of Caulerpa harvest - your data looks like a slight but measurable decrease in the algae harvest during the period when carbon dosing. That has also been my sense but I never put any numbers behind it. Do you think the mechanism might be the same? Carbon dosing means that most of the short-lived ammonia produced in our systems goes toward bacteria instead of algae, and that this might slightly affect algae growth?

I have seen similar when I set up new dirty systems and let them cycle through films on the glass. When the clearing circles started forming in the films, microscope view of the margins where the circle was expanding showed many ciliates. Ciliates being bacteria-vores, may be the cause of the clearing circles, or they may be following the path of bacterial death as it expands out and cleaning up behind it.

Can heterotrophic bacteria starve Caulerpa? I don’t trust my harvesting data for a definitive answer, though it might be providing a hint of information. I have been trying to imagine what sort of experimental setup might answer this question. Would measuring the growth rate of Caulerpa with and without acetate dosing provide good data? I have been monitoring phosphate and nitrate consumption of small pieces of GHA. Maybe that setup can repurposed. I might start with GHA just because I know that alga grows quickly and I am familar with its nutrient absorption rates (it is a phosphate sponge). Stay tuned.

Beautiful observation on the ciliates. I had wondered if the bacteria were being eaten. Makes one wonder if carbon dosing increases the speed at which nitrate gets into higher trophic levels in the aquarium versus being exported by skimming. Case in point, when I suddenly stop dosing, all of the nitrate that was removed during carbon dosing returned within days. I surmise that the assimilated nitrate was not being removed from my system nor being moved to another trophic level.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan: This is an awesome write up....Digging into this complex issue is very brave!! These are the kind of efforts that add great value to our knowledge base about this hobby. To have a simple and accurate test to define our carbon dosing needs would be of great value...Excellent work Dan

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan: This is an awesome write up....Digging into this complex issue is very brave!! These are the kind of efforts that add great value to our knowledge base about this hobby. To have a simple and accurate test to define our carbon dosing needs would be of great value...Excellent work Dan

Thanks Rick!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can heterotrophic bacteria starve Caulerpa? I don’t trust my harvesting data for a definitive answer, though it might be providing a hint of information. I have been trying to imagine what sort of experimental setup might answer this question. Would measuring the growth rate of Caulerpa with and without acetate dosing provide good data? I have been monitoring phosphate and nitrate consumption of small pieces of GHA. Maybe that setup can repurposed. I might start with GHA just because I know that alga grows quickly and I am familar with its nutrient absorption rates (it is a phosphate.

Never did in my tank with very high doses of vinegar ( more than nearly anyone uses). My water was cloudy with bacteria, but caulerpa thrived as well or better than ever. Not sure exactly why.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never did in my tank with very high doses of vinegar ( more than nearly anyone uses). My water was cloudy with bacteria, but caulerpa thrived as well or better than ever. Not sure exactly why.

Life gets nice and complicated when you start measuring things :). I think that I am up to carbon dosing a sprig of Caulerpa to see what happens.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information.
I try to sort out the relation between safe dosing and nitrate consumption.
Preventing the compleet shift from autotrophic to heterotrophic ammonium reduction to maintain a minimum autotrophic carrying capacity.

As nitrate is the end product of autotrophic ammonium reduction and bacteria prefere ammonia as a nitrogen source for growth the C:N ratio should be based on TAN (total ammonia nitrogen) and not on the nitrate content. The nitrate level is what is left over and does not represent the daily nitrogen production on wich daily dosing should be based. How to determine the daily TAN production? Based on daily protein input?
Dosing supplemental organic carbon increases the competition for ammonium between r-strategists and AOB ( ammonia oxidizing bacteria), less ammonia will be available for nitrification and more nitrogen is needed for to sustain the increasing bioload. As nitrification slows down less nitrate will be produced and less nitrate will be reduced within the biofilm wich means less nitrogen is removed by denitrification from the system increasing the total nitrogen content within the system needing more building materials.
Increasing the dose will decrease the ammonium availability for nitrification until the r-strategists consume most ammonium and limit nitrification. The decay of the nitrifying biofilm may provide the building materials for the increased growth of r-strategists.
Important for dosing ( high doses) is the availability of building materials as a skimmer removes constantly some of the building materials but not much of excreted and leaked ammonia becoming available as ammonium in the water column. Ammonium may not be nitrified when growth can not be maintained to assimilate it. As nitrification is based on respiration the nitrification rate may slowly increase again due to insufficient availability of building materials for continued fast heterotrophic growth. Exponetial growth is followed by exponential decay providing buildingmaterials.

During dosing one may assume caulerpa and other photo-autotrops use mainly nitrate-nitrogen for growth, increasing alkalinity.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can heterotrophic bacteria starve Caulerpa?.

Yes, when all nitrate -nitrogen is used up. Caulerpa can not win the battle for ammonium nitrogen against fast growing r-strategists. Also in competition for other building materials I think r-strategists will win the battle. As long organic carbon is available.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Belgian Anthias, post: 5811650, member: 89928]
As nitrate is the end product of autotrophic ammonium reduction and bacteria prefere ammonia as a nitrogen source for growth the C:N ratio should be based on TAN (total ammonia nitrogen) and not on the nitrate content. The nitrate level is what is left over and does not represent the daily nitrogen production on wich daily dosing should be based. How to determine the daily TAN production? Based on daily protein input?
[/QUOTE]

The vast majority of vinegar is consumed with little or no nitrate reduction in small scale dosing experiments. Similarly, amounts of acetic acid dosed to the aquarium are on the order of ten times greater than needed for the consumption of ammonia or nitrate nitrogen as suggested by balanced equations.

Estimating the amount of carbon needed may not be possible based on my experiments and experience with my aquarium. I do not have any explanation for the difference between the literature and my experiments but the amount of carbon seems to be disconnected from nitrogen input from food and the nitrate pool.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a great thread!

Im curious do you have a recipie for calcium acetate?

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During dosing one may assume caulerpa and other photo-autotrops use mainly nitrate-nitrogen for growth, increasing alkalinity.

One must be aware if organisms use nitrate as a nitrogen source they transform it internally to ammonia for metabolism and growth is slowed down. ( +- factor x 5) Most organisms using nitrate overdo it and leak ammonia to the environment. Photo-autotrophs , algae and caulerpa normally leak +- 10- 15% but may leak more like 40% of the processed nitrate as ammonia. Algae may also lose biomass, providing building materials, to sustain the species during hard times, in a battle for nutrients.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disregarding all other possible side effects of dosing carbohydrates and one has a very good reason to lower the level of a safely stored nitrogen reserve, not knowing any other solution, I would base the dose on the daily nitrate overproduction which can be determined, taking into account the available phosphorus reserve. Assimilating daily a bit more nitrogen as present in the daily nitrate overproduction will lower the nitrate level, and may prevent completely messing up all processes taking place in the tank. This when all essential building materials are sufficiently available.

For those dosing carbon only based on the nitrate level, the building off of the doses should be done over a long period of time as the autotrophic carrying capacity may have been removed and replaced by fast heterotrophic growth. Reinstalling sufficient autotrophic carrying capacity may take a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back