One Year of Carbon Dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a great thread!

Im curious do you have a recipie for calcium acetate?

You can make calcium acetate by dissolving calcium hydroxide in vinegar. That is how I dosed vinegar when I was manually dosing vinegar, to eliminate any pH drop on addition to the water.

The best way to do that, IMO, is to add excess calcium hydroxide, stir, and let the excess solids settle out. That keeps the pH high enough to prevent bacteria growth, while keeping the solution mostly calcium acetate.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make calcium acetate by dissolving calcium hydroxide in vinegar. That is how I dosed vinegar when I was manually dosing vinegar, to eliminate any pH drop on addition to the water.

The best way to do that, IMO, is to add excess calcium hydroxide, stir, and let the excess solids settle out. That keeps the pH high enough to prevent bacteria growth, while keeping the solution mostly calcium acetate.
Thanks Randy. So what I understand is the liquid becomes calcium acetate? I wonder what the solids are?

How would I know when to stop adding calcium hydroxide to vinegar?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. So what I understand is the liquid becomes calcium acetate? I wonder what the solids are?

How would I know when to stop adding calcium hydroxide to vinegar?

The solids are undissolved calcium hydroxide (you want some to ensure the pH is high enough), and other impurities in it (such as magnesium hydroxide).

Add it until there is a gram or two of solids settling out.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back