Online fish purchases

batfish5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents, but I would not buy based on selection, but rather on quality, track record, sustainability, responsibility, customer service, where does the livestock come from and the list goes on. My opinion on guarantees is that it is important to know if the guarantee is based on the confidence of the seller in their process and health of their livestock offerings or just that they can turn over huge numbers and get the stock so cheap that they can send you a new one without losing money on their end. The "throw enough crap at the wall, eventually some will stick" approach.
PACIFIC ISLAND AQUATICS ,enough said!!!!!

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to be overly harsh about it. I’ve gotten many great fish from LA and they are excellent about honoring their warranty.

That said, recently I feel bad because it seems like every second purchase is a warranty claim. There’s a point where I don’t want to deal with the dead fish all the time, warranty or no.

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is everyone buying their fish from these days other than the LFS. I used reef wise in the past but whenever I check their site they have almost no selection.
I’ve ordered a lot from vivid aquariums and never had any problems.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from Petsolutions year's ago & was very happy. I ordered from regular Liveaquaria about a month ago & was mostly happy, just 1 of the fish was more like small size than medium so they refunded me 1/2 cost of that fish. I also ordered from N.Y. Aquatic a few months ago, as noted salinity was a little low, but nice healthy fish received. I always order enough to get free shipping.

I typically go to my LFS, but they just weren't getting the few specific fish I wanted & don't offer a guarantee.

Jtarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to buy corals go to Boom Corals, Matt is awesome I am fortunate to live about an hours drive, but his process, size, quality are fantastic. Prices per piece as well are great value. He only sells top notch stuff.
Before I had only bought online corals 2 times from other sources, and the size of the frags, or polyps was literally disappointing at best.** They don't sell fish though.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is everyone buying their fish from these days other than the LFS. I used reef wise in the past but whenever I check their site they have almost no selection.
I was just at reef wise today (I live nearby). Yes, very few fish in the store, a few clowns, a tank of banghais, and some large angels. Even their coral frags are drastically reduced. They did have a large number of clams and nice bubbletip anenomes.

Not quite sure what’s happening.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the opposite with the sizes. Ordered medium flame and ended with a monster. Took some pics with a ruler and submitted it. They shipped a new one of appropriate size and asked that I donate the monster. That's service.

prhoades2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the comments about low salinity, knowledgeable shippers generally ship with low salinity because ammonia in the water is less toxic at lower salinity. A way around this is to add a small piece of polyfilter in the bag to help absorb the ammonia.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the comments about low salinity, knowledgeable shippers generally ship with low salinity because ammonia in the water is less toxic at lower salinity. A way around this is to add a small piece of polyfilter in the bag to help absorb the ammonia.

It’s actually the other way around. Ammonia toxicity increases as salinity decreases.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022098101002271

Online retailers ship in lower salinity primarily to save cost with salt.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered from Live Aquaria many times with no issues & they do not question when you have a DOA or anything, I've even had them tell me to wait the full 14 days to see if everything else makes it. Just ordered a Bonded pair of Wheeler's gobies with a pistol shrimp & a Bonded pair of Fire Shrimp which will arrive Tuesday. I will check out Blue zoo & Piece of the Ocean. I also buy from the LFS if he has something I like but I find much more variety online. & have ordered from Vivid Aquariums a couple times.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed my first online order with LA. I was very nervous and anxious. Now I am very pleased. Local stores give no warranty so I figure I didn't have a lot to lose. Fish came on Thur. The 2 percula clowns were large--no small 1 incher's. Very surprised at that. The Ruby Head Wrass is also good size. Close to 3 inches. The Lubbocks wrasse is smaller. All doing well and looking good. I have 2 more wrasses coming in on Tue from LA

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back