Online fish purchases

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Griff, Mar 7, 2018.

1. batfish5

batfish5 Member

PACIFIC ISLAND AQUATICS ,enough said!!!!!

dwwataz and bluedevils6653 like this.

2. Servillius

Servillius Active Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I don’t want to be overly harsh about it. I’ve gotten many great fish from LA and they are excellent about honoring their warranty.

That said, recently I feel bad because it seems like every second purchase is a warranty claim. There’s a point where I don’t want to deal with the dead fish all the time, warranty or no.

3. Melinda01

Melinda01 Active Member

I’ve ordered a lot from vivid aquariums and never had any problems.

4. falconut

falconut Active Member NJRC Member

I ordered from Petsolutions year's ago & was very happy. I ordered from regular Liveaquaria about a month ago & was mostly happy, just 1 of the fish was more like small size than medium so they refunded me 1/2 cost of that fish. I also ordered from N.Y. Aquatic a few months ago, as noted salinity was a little low, but nice healthy fish received. I always order enough to get free shipping.

I typically go to my LFS, but they just weren't getting the few specific fish I wanted & don't offer a guarantee.

5. Jtarlo

Jtarlo Member

If you want to buy corals go to Boom Corals, Matt is awesome I am fortunate to live about an hours drive, but his process, size, quality are fantastic. Prices per piece as well are great value. He only sells top notch stuff.
    Before I had only bought online corals 2 times from other sources, and the size of the frags, or polyps was literally disappointing at best.** They don't sell fish though.

6. Philt56

Philt56 Active Member

I was just at reef wise today (I live nearby). Yes, very few fish in the store, a few clowns, a tank of banghais, and some large angels. Even their coral frags are drastically reduced. They did have a large number of clams and nice bubbletip anenomes.

Not quite sure what’s happening.

7. Reef Box

Reef Box Active Member Build Thread Contributor

+1

8. Saltyanimals

Saltyanimals Active Member

I had the opposite with the sizes. Ordered medium flame and ended with a monster. Took some pics with a ruler and submitted it. They shipped a new one of appropriate size and asked that I donate the monster. That's service.

9. DanConnor

DanConnor Active Member

Although- getting it right the first time would be better service. ;-)

Myk likes this.
  10. prhoades2

prhoades2 Member

As for the comments about low salinity, knowledgeable shippers generally ship with low salinity because ammonia in the water is less toxic at lower salinity. A way around this is to add a small piece of polyfilter in the bag to help absorb the ammonia.

11. Deinonych

Deinonych Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

It’s actually the other way around. Ammonia toxicity increases as salinity decreases.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022098101002271

Online retailers ship in lower salinity primarily to save cost with salt.

dwwataz and BrotherSheepDog like this.
  12. Dragon52

Dragon52 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I have ordered from Live Aquaria many times with no issues & they do not question when you have a DOA or anything, I've even had them tell me to wait the full 14 days to see if everything else makes it. Just ordered a Bonded pair of Wheeler's gobies with a pistol shrimp & a Bonded pair of Fire Shrimp which will arrive Tuesday. I will check out Blue zoo & Piece of the Ocean. I also buy from the LFS if he has something I like but I find much more variety online. & have ordered from Vivid Aquariums a couple times.

13. Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I just placed my first online order with LA. I was very nervous and anxious. Now I am very pleased. Local stores give no warranty so I figure I didn't have a lot to lose. Fish came on Thur. The 2 percula clowns were large--no small 1 incher's. Very surprised at that. The Ruby Head Wrass is also good size. Close to 3 inches. The Lubbocks wrasse is smaller. All doing well and looking good. I have 2 more wrasses coming in on Tue from LA

Draft saved Draft deleted