OP
somebloke

somebloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't provided an update yet. With 1.5 ml/gallon of this batch of Coppersafe the API test was unmistakably darker than the 2.0 shade (under a full spectrum light with the test tube held about 1/4 inch above the card surface).

I ordered this test kit which supposedly measures total copper levels and will provide more data:

https://www.benmeadows.com/orbeco-h...?src=CID&searchterm=149772&selectedsku=149772

I'll update once I've tested with the new kit.

OP
OP
somebloke

somebloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This test better be accurate. There are two solid reagents that need to dissolve. I crushed the first, added it to the sample, and am still looking at small granules an hour later. lol

OP
OP
somebloke

somebloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to this Orbeco test kit it's about 2.3 ppm at 1.5 ml/gallon. That would put 1.25 ml/gallon at about 1.92 ppm if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know, maybe they fixed it or maybe I got an unusual batch that just happens to be correct. Or maybe I suck at colors. At any rate, be cautious.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to this Orbeco test kit it's about 2.3 ppm at 1.5 ml/gallon. That would put 1.25 ml/gallon at about 1.92 ppm if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know, maybe they fixed it or maybe I got an unusual batch that just happens to be correct. Or maybe I suck at colors. At any rate, be cautious.
Which is correct, the bottle or the instructions @Humblefish provides?

I suspect that they changed the formula so that what the bottle instructions say is actually correct now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is correct, the bottle or the instructions @Humblefish provides?

I suspect that they changed the formula so that what the bottle instructions say is actually correct now.

I just tested a bottle of Coppersafe I got from Premium Aquatics a few days ago: 1.63mL/gal yielded 1.5 ppm, 1.9mL/gal = 1.75 ppm, and 2.17mL/gal = 2.0 ppm. I tested using Chemetrics: https://www.chemetrics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=392

I'll try to see if there is a batch # or something identifying on the bottle tomorrow.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed API a week or so ago for clarification on where to hold tube for the copper test.
Response was:

"Thank you for inquiring at API. You do not touch the card to the test tube. Hold above the card.

Thank you,
Amy K.
Consumer Relations Technician
MARS fishcare"
I know this is an old thread but I would also like to comment. It may help some others down the line.
Not only to hold the vial above the card but I found it also helpful to keep your fingers above the water line. It helps bring the light in for a true color.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back