Only Crocea clam gaping?

Jimmywxzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Here are clams that i got and I am pretty sure they are maximas and corceas. It seems like only the croceas are gaping, any idea why?

IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0323.JPG IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0326.JPG IMG_0327.JPG

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem fine, Just provide good condition for them high light and low circulation. Make sure they don’t have parasites on them. If they stop growing then you are in trouble but the clams pictures above are fine. No identifiable problem from the pictures.
However, clams are well know to “looks fine” on one day and dead overnight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jimmywxzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem fine. Just provide good condition for them high light and low circulation. Make sure they don’t have parasites on them. If they stop growing then you are in trouble but the calms pictures above ave fine. No identifiable problem from the pictures.
However, calms are well know to “looks fine” on one day and dead overnight.
thanks, i checked for snails before i put them in the tank and i brushed the shell, hopefully they'll be fine. ill keep a close eye on them

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I love clams, those are nice. Agree with OrionN. Currently look fine.
Have you had clams before? Just making sure you understand the demand they will take on your calcium, Mg, Alk. You added a lot at once, so be ready to test and compensate real soon. :)

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jimmywxzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I love clams, those are nice. Agree with OrionN. Currently look fine.
Have you had clams before? Just making sure you understand the demand they will take on your calcium, Mg, Alk. You added a lot at once, so be ready to test and compensate real soon. :)

Good luck!
yea, I had one or two before, I just left it there and it didnt require much attention. Also i have been testing my water everyday, need to dose quite a lot of ca and kh. They still look happy! ;)

NewBostonConst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to raise them off the sand bed on like a piece of PVC to reduce the chance of bristle worms and other critters from getting into them....are all there feet still good?

OP
OP
J

Jimmywxzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to raise them off the sand bed on like a piece of PVC to reduce the chance of bristle worms and other critters from getting into them....are all there feet still good?
yea their feets are still intact, and they have already attached to the glass under the sand since my sand bed is not so deep

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back