Only krill for puffer?

Gools

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got myself a dogface last week and I have him in quarantine. So far all he will eat is krill, is this bad? I remember hearing that you shouldn't feed krill exclusively to lionfish, but my puffer won't eat mysis, squid, clams in half shell. Still trying to temp him but he only wants his krill and gets excited
when I bring it out. Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue spot loves the "fish smoothie" ;) Get a large variety of frozen fish cubes: mysis, brine, krill, chopped clams, cyclops, reef mix, seaweed, and as many others as you can find or desire to try. Take one of each and place into a tupperware and let "slump" in the fridge. Mix a bit. Let set. Then pour off the excess liquid (can cause nitrate & phosphate spikes). Lastly, add a few drops of Zoecon vitamins. It contains lots of proteins from sponges, etc. that the fish only get in the wild. Your fish will love it. Only feed enough for the fish to eat in 1-2 minutes. Feed at least a couple of times a day.

Here's where I got the idea. I just simplified it a bit instead of chopping fresh fish, clams, etc. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/preparing-frozen-foods-for-my-fish-and-corals.300448/#post-3677350

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think feeding krill only, or really anything only may eventually lead to improper nutrition. But krill does have properties which when consumed exclusive can present a problem is all fish, it's easy to research. Believe me a dogface puffer is a chow hound, he will eventually come around to eating other things. Mine will attack the clams on the half shell like a rabid dog, you better get out of his way. I spoil mine, I'll even put chunks of meat on a feeding stick when I'm feeding the volitan. Silversides cut into chumks, scallop, shrimp; they will tend to take a chunky piece of meat vs mysis or such floating around the tank. I even cut ocean nutrition formula one and rod's into chunks.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not feeding the krill, and only offer other foods, he will come around eventually and eat other foods. Mine at first would only eat clams, I stopped offering clams, he didn't eat for a few days, then decided clams were acceptable, now he eats anything offered, including pellets, he will even try and eat flakes I offer the dwarf angel but he isn't very successful at that lol.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back