Preparing Frozen Foods for My Fish and Corals

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had remarkable success feeding my corals Reef Nutrition products for over a year now, along with my homemade frozen recipe, Piscine PE Mysis shrimp, and Brightwell’s Vitamin products.

When I started using Reef Nutrition’s Oyster Feast I was shown how to feed and after seeing how the corals reacted up at Wide World of Coral really got me thinking. After meeting Chad at Reef-A-Palooza Orlando last year 2016. Chad took the time to explain the benefits of combining a couple of other Reef Nutrition product to make my overall feeding complete. I have noticed the difference in a big way and when I do not feed all the products my corals are not happy. My nutrient levels stay very steady. When I need to kick up my level, I feed more of a natural product instead of chemical, which I like. Be sure to come out and say Hello to Chad again at this year’s Orlando Reef-A-Palooza May 6th and 7th.

I have been involved in a few discussions about how much and how to handle feeding frozen food to the tank, and how I prepare my weekly food for feeding.

IMG_4527.JPG

In a 250ml beaker I slack out my frozen food covered in the refrigerator. "Slacking" is the process of moderating the temperature of a food such as allowing a food to gradually increase from a temperature. Slacking your food keeps the food fresher without decomposition of the food more so than quick thawing or heating methods. By also slacking the product correctly one can have a week’s worth of food on the ready for easy daily feedings. The slacking process I use follows the FDA slacking procedures.

My Mix

• 2 ounces of frozen Piscine PE Mysis shrimp

• 2 ounces of my frozen blend recipe blend

• 2 table spoons of Reef Nutrition’s Oyster-Feast

• 2 table spoons of Reef Nutrition’s Roti-Feast

• 2 table spoons of Reef Nutrition’s R.O.E

• 1 tablespoon of Brightwell’s Vitamarin C

• 1 tablespoon of Brightwell’s Vitamarin m

• 1 tablespoon of AquaForest amino acid

2 drops of AquaForest garlic oil

When I need to medicate I use the same blend along with what meds I need and Seachem Focus to bind the meds to the food so that the fish ingest the medication.

After the food has slacked properly I will mix the food with a magnetic stirrer to make sure that everything is mixed properly without degrading the products.

The above mix is used mainly for broadcast feeding and some spot feeding.

I am lucky enough to have Wide World Corals very close to me. When I need a product, I can pop in and grab what I need. What is great about Wide World Carols is, if the particular product is not on hand, Wide World Corals will order what I need in their next order if requested.

IMG_4558.JPG

Below is a video showing my preparation, along with how I feed my system. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is excellent! I use most of these products already both at the store and at home. I wonder though, what are some other good options for stirring that won't degrade the food? I don't have a fancy magnetic stirring deal like that.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is excellent! I use most of these products already both at the store and at home. I wonder though, what are some other good options for stirring that won't degrade the food? I don't have a fancy magnetic stirring deal like that.

A small rubber spatula link or just a simple spoon

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. I noticed today it is about time for me to make a trip to WWC to pick up some LRS and reef nutrition goodies. I need to make a video of my tank when I feed... I might just have a stupid amount of flow. Lol

(I use a glass stir rod)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. I noticed today it is about time for me to make a trip to WWC to pick up some LRS and reef nutrition goodies. I need to make a video of my tank when I feed... I might just have a stupid amount of flow. Lol

(I use a glass stir rod)
Let me know when you come up.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know when you come up.

Will do!

I made a quick video a few minutes ago of me serving breakfast. (I do this twice a day, there is also a nightly feeding of a mix ofsuspended particles for the corals, microfauna etc.). It's a little cloudy because I pumped the zeoreactor, so there is bacterial food in the water as well.;)

You gotta make sure your fish get plenty of exercise, gotta make them work for their breakfast.:D

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do!

I made a quick video a few minutes ago of me serving breakfast. (I do this twice a day, there is also a nightly feeding of a mix ofsuspended particles for the corals, microfauna etc.). It's a little cloudy because I pumped the zeoreactor, so there is bacterial food in the water as well.;)

You gotta make sure your fish get plenty of exercise, gotta make them work for their breakfast.:D

This is the first i am seeing the tank, Wow that is nice.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do!

I have had remarkable success feeding my corals Reef Nutrition products for over a year now, along with my homemade frozen recipe, Piscine PE Mysis shrimp, and Brightwell’s Vitamin products.

When I started using Reef Nutrition’s Oyster Feast I was shown how to feed and after seeing how the corals reacted up at Wide World of Coral really got me thinking. After meeting Chad at Reef-A-Palooza Orlando last year 2016. Chad took the time to explain the benefits of combining a couple of other Reef Nutrition product to make my overall feeding complete. I have noticed the difference in a big way and when I do not feed all the products my corals are not happy. My nutrient levels stay very steady. When I need to kick up my level, I feed more of a natural product instead of chemical, which I like. Be sure to come out and say Hello to Chad again at this year’s Orlando Reef-A-Palooza May 6th and 7th.

I have been involved in a few discussions about how much and how to handle feeding frozen food to the tank, and how I prepare my weekly food for feeding.

IMG_4527.JPG

In a 250ml beaker I slack out my frozen food covered in the refrigerator. "Slacking" is the process of moderating the temperature of a food such as allowing a food to gradually increase from a temperature. Slacking your food keeps the food fresher without decomposition of the food more so than quick thawing or heating methods. By also slacking the product correctly one can have a week’s worth of food on the ready for easy daily feedings. The slacking process I use follows the FDA slacking procedures.

My Mix

• 2 ounces of frozen Piscin
    Will do!

When I need to medicate I use the same blend along with what meds I need and Seachem Focus to bind the meds to the food so that the fish ingest the medication.

After the food has slacked properly I will mix the food with a magnetic stirrer to make sure that everything is mixed properly without degrading the products.

I am lucky enough to have Wide World Corals very close to me. When I need a product, I can pop in and grab what I need. What is great about Wide World Carols is, if the particular product is not on hand, Wide World Corals will order what I need in their next order if requested.

IMG_4558.JPG

Below is a video showing my preparation, along with how I feed my system. Enjoy.

IMG_4527.JPG

My Mix

• 2 ounces of frozen Piscine PE Mysis shrimp

IMG_4558.JPG

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sources tell us to rinse the frozen food to avoid contamination and unwanted bacteria...obviously this is not done with slacking...Why?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never worried about rinsing frozen food. I know lots of people do. Personally I think you're just washing away stuff that something in your tank would like. But from the video you can see I am also not someone too concerned with "over feeding" or "getting my tank dirty". (I also carbon dose and run a zeolite reactor).

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do!

What kind of tang is that? Love your flame wrasse

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never worried about rinsing frozen food. I know lots of people do. Personally I think you're just washing away stuff that something in your tank would like. But from the video you can see I am also not someone too concerned with "over feeding" or "getting my tank dirty". (I also carbon dose and run a zeolite reactor).
I have a 10 gal. IM reef...easy to put in too much organics...the other tank is a 65 fowlr with hob filter...may experiment with your technique with some rinsing...:cool:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like with anything you have to find a balance. I've kept many tanks many different ways and I never rinsed my frozen foods.

My current system can be difficult to keep enough nutrients in, so every little bit helps me.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never rinsed frozen food. I just drop it in and it defrosts in the water as the fish tear it to pieces

I just use frozen cubes in blister packs and mix and match them to vary it for the fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.2%
Back