Preparing Frozen Foods for My Fish and Corals

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now in Florida! We will be setting up on Friday. This event draws in thousands of people and some of the most amazing vendors out there. I look forward to chatting with anyone that comes to the booth.

-Chad

Oh goody, neither of my local stores carry reef nutrition foods so I'm glad you guys will be there. I want to start implementing this recipe next week, although I still havent found squid, octopus, whitefish or oysters aside from Kroger.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh goody, neither of my local stores carry reef nutrition foods so I'm glad you guys will be there. I want to start implementing this recipe next week, although I still havent found squid, octopus, whitefish or oysters aside from Kroger.

Did you make it to the event? Were you able to get a free sample from our booth? If you start using our food in your recipe and like it, please ask your LFS to carry us. You can give me the store names when you are ready. Cheers!

Chad

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make it to the event? Were you able to get a free sample from our booth? If you start using our food in your recipe and like it, please ask your LFS to carry us. You can give me the store names when you are ready. Cheers!

Chad

I did make it to the event and one of your reps was kind enough to go into very good detail on the culture bucket and foods. I did not get a free sample :(, I think I was so star struck that I was missing signs and offers :oops:.
I actually have two LFS that advertise that they sell your product but they rarely have any stock in, and even less of the ones that I want. I may have to see if I can sweet talk them into special ordering for me ;).

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did make it to the event and one of your reps was kind enough to go into very good detail on the culture bucket and foods. I did not get a free sample :(, I think I was so star struck that I was missing signs and offers :oops:.
I actually have two LFS that advertise that they sell your product but they rarely have any stock in, and even less of the ones that I want. I may have to see if I can sweet talk them into special ordering for me ;).

I'm so sorry we didn't get you any free samples, but thanks for stopping by the booth.

Most stores are very good about adding extra products to their order if their customer wants something and can pay in advance. I hope you are able to get what you need!

Chad

Raymond Gathright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but where can I get "2 ounces of my frozen blend recipe blend?" Also, I have a 75 gallon mixed reef that's been up and running for about 4 months now. Well, the live stock has, most of the live rock has been in a 40 for about 6 years now. I have probably about 35 zoas and an acan, along with 3 green chomis, two dart fish a yellow watchman and a lawnmower blenny. If you're doing 1 teaspoon twice a day, what do you figure on mine? 1/2 teaspoon once or twice a day? I'm going to pick up a green mandarin in a week or so, and probably a tomney tang... I've got a bunch of copepods for the mandarin though...
Thanks for the help, Raymond

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @jsker, sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but how long is the longest you'd let your mixture sit in the fridge? I travel for work pretty frequently and I'd like to do this to make things easier on my wife.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @jsker, sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but how long is the longest you'd let your mixture sit in the fridge? I travel for work pretty frequently and I'd like to do this to make things easier on my wife.
I mix enough for a week, kept cold at 42 degrees or below the food can last two covered. Use the smell test, if the food starts to small sour the toss it:)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but where can I get "2 ounces of my frozen blend recipe blend?" Also, I have a 75 gallon mixed reef that's been up and running for about 4 months now. Well, the live stock has, most of the live rock has been in a 40 for about 6 years now. I have probably about 35 zoas and an acan, along with 3 green chomis, two dart fish a yellow watchman and a lawnmower blenny. If you're doing 1 teaspoon twice a day, what do you figure on mine? 1/2 teaspoon once or twice a day? I'm going to pick up a green mandarin in a week or so, and probably a tomney tang... I've got a bunch of copepods for the mandarin though...
Thanks for the help, Raymond
Start with a half teaspoon. Check the phosphate and nitrates to see if the number rise. If not try a little bit more. I would suggest going with LRF or Rod classic for your system.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You think feeding a couple of hikari s to our clown is ok on days not feeding frozen. He seems hungry all the time. You know my recent gha/cyano issue.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix enough for a week, kept cold at 42 degrees or below the food can last two covered. Use the smell test, if the food starts to small sour the toss it:)
Easy enough, thank you!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think feeding a couple of hikari s to our clown is ok on days not feeding frozen. He seems hungry all the time. You know my recent gha/cyano issue.

Yes, bread clowns are usually feed pellets. I feed mine twice a day usually, and they still want more, I feed nori on a clip and the clowns will go after that some times.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. The nori clip still freaks mine out a little.

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say this prepares a weeks worth of food, do you refreeze it? I was left with the impression that you keep a weeks worth in the fridge and feed daily, but I've recently read the opinion that this is not a good thing to do. Could you clarify please?

Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say this prepares a weeks worth of food, do you refreeze it? I was left with the impression that you keep a weeks worth in the fridge and feed daily, but I've recently read the opinion that this is not a good thing to do. Could you clarify please?

Thanks for taking the time to write it up!
Sorry for not answering sooner
I just slack enough for a week.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not answering sooner
I just slack enough for a week.

So as long as it is prepared appropriately (frozen parts slacked) and stored appropriately (not left out of the fridge) would we be ok preparing a mix like this one and keeping it in a squeeze bottle with a lid to be used over the week?

Or perhaps used with a refrigerated dosing setup?

Tony

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as long as it is prepared appropriately (frozen parts slacked) and stored appropriately (not left out of the fridge) would we be ok preparing a mix like this one and keeping it in a squeeze bottle with a lid to be used over the week?

Or perhaps used with a refrigerated dosing setup?

Tony

That is a brilliant idea!! with the squees bottle

The drawback of doing from a fridge, is at some point the line from the fridge to the feeding point is at room temp. The food would spoil in the uncooled line.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
very nice write up. Well done. I blend my food for my system too just to save some money lol. I dont add any extra additives like oister feast tho. All my food is bought from asian fish market and blend with nori and fish eggs(used for sushi) and added fresh mince garlic then freeze. A good $20-30 of seafood last for 4-6month.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a brilliant idea!! with the squees bottle

The drawback of doing from a fridge, is at some point the line from the fridge to the feeding point is at room temp. The food would spoil in the uncooled line.

The two ways that I've seen videos for that address that issue, through threads here, are:

Using the GHL doser that does reverse (). He had it set up in a little wine chiller. Dose out some food, back it up so the tube is filled with tank water into the cooler.
That seems like a setup where you'd use a fresh bottle every day.

Or using an mini-fridge and actually putting the doser and everything in there. They run a loop through the fridge and into the return section of the sump and the food goes into that ().

The thing I like about that idea is the ability to feed small amounts throughout the day.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back