OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sources tell us to rinse the frozen food to avoid contamination and unwanted bacteria...obviously this is not done with slacking...Why?

Good question, ask yourself how did that unwanted bacteria get there in the first place? Was the product handle and processed correctly? If so the food should not have unwanted bacteria. What I am looking for when buying food is how clean the facility is and how it is stored.

Think about this, why do we not soak our meats in water before we prepare them for human consumption or for any other meat eating species? Yes we boil meats some time, but there is no flavor and most of the real nutrients are purged. Almost forgot we marinade too:) The marinade process is, a process of infusing flavor and is some senses using acids to cook and tenderize. After the soaking and boiling process there really is no nutritional value, except for some fiber and to fill a void. The freezing process basically crystallize the cell in the tissue, buy quick thawing and rinsing, the cells are weeped at a higher rate than slacking. There is some real nutrients being wasted and thrown down the drain by soaking then straining or fast thawing.

When I slacking my food for my fish, the watery stuff on the bottom of the beaker is good stuff, that feed the corals. I use the Reef Nutrition product since they are fresh and to kick up the coral feeding. I am not a scientists, but I have worked with food for a very long time. I have also worked with many health departments on the state level and county level and I put these practices in places with my personal and fish food handling.

One old school rule: When it smells, toss it.

disclaimer: I am a terrible debater and the above is just a long and rambling answer stating that I like to use that best products as possible, and also use my common sense when it comes to feeding:D:D

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never rinsed frozen food. I just drop it in and it defrosts in the water as the fish tear it to pieces

I just use frozen cubes in blister packs and mix and match them to vary it for the fish.

That is also a good way, they make frozen food feeds or just tossing in the tank.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason for straining is phosphates. The water the frozen food is frozen with is loaded with it. People with smaller tanks can not afford the extra phosphates. Then we get that lovely green hair algae. Gut loaded Hikari food will not loose as much nutrition when rinsed. Hikari is probably the safest food out their with all their guarantees.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason for straining is phosphates. The water the frozen food is frozen with is loaded with it. People with smaller tanks can not afford the extra phosphates. Then we get that lovely green hair algae. Gut loaded Hikari food will not loose as much nutrition when rinsed. Hikari is probably the safest food out their with all their guarantees.

One of the reason I like using the products that I use is. When I made my frozen recipe I look for fresh product that were phosphate free. Scollops are known to have phosphate in them because processing facilities use phosphates to process the scallops. It is had to find scallops with out phosphates. The Reef nutrition products and not frozen but fresh.

When I was trying to get my phosphate under control I thought is was the food. I switched different brands to my own and still had high phosphateso_O. There are phosphates in everything, and I would suggest looking at your potable work source and test that. I also used dry to try to control my phosphates, and that did not help either. What really helped me with my phosphates is usings product with a lanthanum chloride base to pull the phosphates out of my system and I new control phosphates with GFO

My suggestion would be to try the Oyster-Feast and feed a half a teaspoon a week and see how your system reacts. I agree that smaller systems react more to changes.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reason I like using the products that I use is. When I made my frozen recipe I look for fresh product that were phosphate free. Scollops are known to have phosphate in them because processing facilities use phosphates to process the scallops. It is had to find scallops with out phosphates. The Reef nutrition products and not frozen but fresh.

When I was trying to get my phosphate under control I thought is was the food. I switched different brands to my own and still had high phosphateso_O. There are phosphates in everything, and I would suggest looking at your potable work source and test that. I also used dry to try to control my phosphates, and that did not help either. What really helped me with my phosphates is usings product with a lanthanum chloride base to pull the phosphates out of my system and I new control phosphates with GFO

My suggestion would be to try the Oyster-Feast and feed a half a teaspoon a week and see how your system reacts. I agree that smaller systems react more to changes.
I live in MA. The scallops I get come fresh off the docks everyday ;)
I am going to try a new product I seen last night called Continuum Aquatics Bacter Clean-M

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in MA. The scallops I get come fresh off the docks everyday ;)
I am going to try a new product I seen last night called Continuum Aquatics Bacter Clean-M

I do miss the good selection of seafood up there, I lived up in Dedham for about 2 years. I am researching water before it goes into our RO/DI units, I am amazed at the lack of transparent quality control reporting.

Let us know how the Contunuum Aquatics work out.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do miss the good selection of seafood up there, I lived up in Dedham for about 2 years. I am researching water before it goes into our RO/DI units, I am amazed at the lack of transparent quality control reporting.

I seen a video this morning on Coralfish12g. The younger guy George swears by the product. I looked up reviews. Not 1 one bad review. George says,"It is the hobby's best kept secret." After watching the video I was pretty convinced to try it. It is not instant gratification, but at least you can get all of it out and figure out where to go from there for adjustments, because if you are just sending GHA spores into your water column from brushing it off your LR. Then that decaying algae is now becoming a nutrient/phosphate when it lands somewhere to reproduce or trapped in the sponge then we as fighters of phosphates are not truly figuring out what the real issue is if there is an automatic source of it sitting there before we add anything. I will most likely do a week to week video of it or if the GHA really becomes that malnourished and starts to turn white. It will be how ever many water changes so that decaying algae is not becoming a food source for more algae.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice Article and video, can you share your frozen recipe ?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go
Reef food recipe.png

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I would suggest to cut the amounts, depending on the size of your system the amounts listed above world last a good amount of time.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice write up. I may try. I Curently feed LRS and have thought of adding to it. i used your magnetic stirrer post from a few months back and have been happy with it. That was before i knew you used to be my neighbor. I'm in Norwood, MA.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. I may try. I Curently feed LRS and have thought of adding to it. i used your magnetic stirrer post from a few months back and have been happy with it. That was before i knew you used to be my neighbor. I'm in Norwood, MA.

You can not go wrong with LRS in the mix.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I would suggest to cut the amounts, depending on the size of your system the amounts listed above world last a good amount of time.
I may use more as I have 180 gallons with Angel and tangs

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go
Reef food recipe.png

I never would have guessed that I would see carrots in a fish food recipe. Thank you @jsker for sharing, I'm definitely going to look into implementing these recipes. Question, do you get your seafood from a fresh market or a store? I only have access to a store and am wondering if it makes a large difference? Obviously I understand the food is going to be processed more in a store. What is your opinion on flake and pellet food? And do you have a specific type of nori that you prefer?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never would have guessed that I would see carrots in a fish food recipe. Thank you @jsker for sharing, I'm definitely going to look into implementing these recipes. Question, do you get your seafood from a fresh market or a store? I only have access to a store and am wondering if it makes a large difference? Obviously I understand the food is going to be processed more in a store. What is your opinion on flake and pellet food? And do you have a specific type of nori that you prefer?
I purchased my product through and fish market, and made sure that the scallops were phosphate free. If the store you have near you sell fresh fish, speak with the manager and see if they can order product in for you. I hardly every use dry food, and would only use dry if I was using an auto feeder. I use the nori from either the oriental market, or costco. I have been using the organic nori snack from costco lately because it is less expensive and packaged so I do not have open the total contents.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four more days till Orlando's #reefaplooza and you can chat with Reef Nutrition's peeps at there booth

Last edited:

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four more days till Orlando's #reefaplooza and you can chat with Reef Nutrition's peps at there booth

I am now in Florida! We will be setting up on Friday. This event draws in thousands of people and some of the most amazing vendors out there. I look forward to chatting with anyone that comes to the booth.

-Chad

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now in Florida! We will be setting up on Friday. This event draws in thousands of people and some of the most amazing vendors out there. I look forward to chatting with anyone that comes to the booth.

-Chad
I was checking out the floorplan yesterday. There are more vendor this year than last. See you Saturday

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 163 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back