Oof! Idea for bigger tank shot down... Fluval Evo 13.5?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another cool invert for a tank this size is Sexy Shrimp. I have 4 in my IM 25 lagoon and kept them in my 10 gallon before I upgraded.

Sexy shrimp.jpg

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Caribbean sailfin blenny, pictus blenny, and a small bottom dwelling goby in my 5g. They all stay small but the blenny have so much personality! I’d say those 3 fish combined have the bioload of one clown.

I also have a porcelain crab, Pom Pom crab, and two saron shrimp.
Ok id like to maybe have like 2 fish and then prolly an invert. Would one clown and a YWG/Shrimp pair work?

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!! I have a 5g with KPA rock and it has zero issues and was growing SPS not longer after set up and I totally neglect that tank.

the way I see it..dry rock isn’t populated with anything which means lots of room for nuisance algae. Coralline and other good guys inhibit pest algae IMO.
Can you buy live rock with coralline algae on it?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok id like to maybe have like 2 fish and then prolly an invert. Would one clown and a YWG/Shrimp pair work?

I would personally choose a fish smaller than a clown. The clown won’t die, I just thing adult ones look a little cramped or out of place in a 10g.

My bubble tip nem would fill an entire 10g.

Can you buy live rock with coralline algae on it?

Yes, You can buy it directly out of the ocean.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally choose a fish smaller than a clown. The clown won’t die, I just thing adult ones look a little cramped or out of place in a 10g.

My bubble tip nem would fill an entire 10g.

Yes, You can buy it directly out of the ocean.
Oh perfect. Does that mean that nuisance algae doesnt have anywhere to grow because the coralline algae thats already on the rock is outcompeting it easily? Also, would it be possible to kill that coralline algae when cycling? Or will it survive?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh perfect. Does that mean that nuisance algae doesnt have anywhere to grow because the coralline algae thats already on the rock is outcompeting it easily? Also, would it be possible to kill that coralline algae when cycling? Or will it survive?

It helps take up space, yes. Whatever dies off comes back quickly. I just soft cycle it (water changes to keep ammonia low).

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would consider something other than the clown in a tank this size if it were me. YWG/shrimp pair is a great choice.

video of mine in the 10 gallon, along with some eyebrow barnacle blennies (the fastest fish in the ocean for 1 foot).

Sorry for the ugly algae at the time.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back