oolite in higher flow tanks

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok has anyone had success with oolite in a mixed reef tank just curious because i read alot of threads with people removing it personally really like the movement just not so much with lower rock dusting but thinking smaller powerheads to create current and help keep rocks clean any thoughts on this

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok has anyone had success with oolite in a mixed reef tank just curious because i read alot of threads with people removing it personally really like the movement just not so much with lower rock dusting but thinking smaller powerheads to create current and help keep rocks clean any thoughts on this
or even a linear flow one one
Yes, but I’d probably recommend some random flow nozzles on your outlets. And you can’t run as much flow as you can with a non-oolite substrate.
i was also thinking linear flow one side and the apposite side placing live rock or more course substrate to take the impact of the down flow

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. The oolite works really well in my 160-gallon, except in the corners where only the heavier stuff accumulates. I’m running 45% on Sicce SDC 9.0 which is somewhere between 650-750Gph.

It’s actually not the wavemakers but the return outlets that stir things up.

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210822_192444.jpg

Hard to say. The oolite works really well in my 160-gallon, except in the corners where only the heavier stuff accumulates. I’m running 45% on Sicce SDC 9.0 which is somewhere between 650-750Gph.
thanks of the insight got to get some powerheads soon so all info helps in the decision i know one thing i am not removing this oolite i will find a way looks way to beautiful

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running oolite currently in a 40 breeder and its does blow around you will need to find perfect flow pattern may have to move rock around. After awhile it’ll settle down I love it

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower rock dusting is unavoidable to some extent. Fish have a tendency to kick up the substrate, and more often than not they’re the culprits. I think the flat adjustable nozzles you have should work pretty good (mine are just 1/2” round open pipes).

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower rock dusting is unavoidable to some extent. Fish have a tendency to kick up the substrate, and more often than not they’re the culprits. I think the flat adjustable nozzles you have should work pretty good (mine are just 1/2” round open pipes).
agreed every couple days i a have to clean it part of the deal

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copy that you got corals in the tank yet
Oh yeah. Not the best photo (wife has the better camera), but here’s a snapshot from yesterday. Probably two dozen different zoas, 3 hammers/torches, 4 goniopora, half dozen mushrooms, half dozen ricordea, elegance, fat fungia plate tentacle, half dozen GSP, half dozen various SPS, pair of feather dusters, pair of long tentacle anemones, coral banded shrimp, 2 cucumbers, 8-10 conches, two dozen trochus, cerith, astrea and pyramid snails, two dozen Nassarius snails, four ring cowrie, three dozen assorted blue, scarlet, gold zebra and algae-eating hermit crabs, 3 emerald crabs, 3 porcelain crabs, 2 zebra porcelain crabs, 1 strawberry Hawaiian crab, and 21 fish at last count.

Sailfin tang, marine betta, 3x mocha/black-orange clownfish, cleaner wrasse, sixline wrasse, melanarus wrasse, midnight and coral beauty dwarf angels, flame hawkfish, black neon dottyback, 2x green chromis, azure damsel, 3x blue devil damsel and pajama cardinal. Think i’m missing 2 or I miscounted...

B832C299-7F3D-4E23-B376-9F872AC911D7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol do you have coral she is beautiful brother
I had to start with this 90 gallon because my wife thought i was crazy when tried to buy a 300
Oh yeah. Not the best photo (wife has the better camera), but here’s a snapshot from yesterday. Probably two dozen different zoas, 3 hammers/torches, 4 goniopora, half dozen mushrooms, half dozen ricordea, elegance, fat fungia plate tentacle, half dozen GSP, half dozen various SPS, pair of feather dusters, pair of long tentacle anemones, coral banded shrimp, 2 cucumbers, 8-10 conches, two dozen trochus, cerith, astrea and pyramid snails, two dozen Nassarius snails, four ring cowrie, three dozen assorted blue, scarlet, gold zebra and algae-eating hermit crabs, 3 emerald crabs, 3 porcelain crabs, 2 zebra porcelain crabs, 1 strawberry Hawaiian crab, and 21 fish at last count.

B832C299-7F3D-4E23-B376-9F872AC911D7.jpeg
do you have coral lol she is beautiful sir i had to start back with a 90 because my wife thought i was crazy when i tried to buy a 300

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I opted for more “swimming space” at the top and more “living space” at the bottom. There are too many caves to count (50+), and many of them apparently even run through the rock (or so the fish have figured out).

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I opted for more “swimming space” at the top and more “living space” at the bottom. There are too many caves to count (50+), and many of them apparently even run through the rock (or so the fish have figured out).
I really like that concept my favorite part of the hobby has always been aquara interactions with there environments

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that concept my favorite part of the hobby has always been aquara interactions with there environments
Feel free to beg/borrow/steal whatever ideas you like! When the lights go out the only inhabitants you can literally find are the trochus snails on the sides of the tank.

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my wife already sparked alot of intrested
Feel free to beg/borrow/steal whatever ideas you like! When the lights go out the only inhabitants you can literally find are the trochus snails on the sides of the tank.
what are you doing for nutrient export

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesterday i ripped out my old canister filters i had on the shelves. installed bashsea 301416 with simplicity dc 120 skimmer setup 100watt grow led for possible cheteo setup if needed and my dosing setup so this should be interesting

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back