cycling a cold tank with limited light

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on cycling a new tank for an octopus and was told to just Dr Tims with dry rock and would be fine in a few days. I thought live ocean rock would be better but curious if I run the tank at 68 and the lights would be toned down if that would be a large loss using live rock? (especially since its warmer waters that it comes from) What kind of die off should I expect and how long? Should I Dr Tims with the live rock? Was also informed to remove the rock for acclimation then replace it all afterwards so I guess I'll be setting up a rubbermaid can for a couple days for the rock. But how would you guys cycle a cold water tank with limited light?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were going to keep a tank at 68F, I would not buy tropical live ocean rock. I'd expect most of what was live about it to be lost at that much lower temp.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were going to keep a tank at 68F, I would not buy tropical live ocean rock. I'd expect most of what was live about it to be lost at that much lower temp.
That’s what I was thinking but wouldn’t there be better bacteria that would still survive? The lack of light would be the other issue for any vegetation growing even if I raised the temp to 72 etc…

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking but wouldn’t there be better bacteria that would still survive? The lack of light would be the other issue for any vegetation growing even if I raised the temp to 72 etc…
Sure, live material is loaded with countless strains of bacteria. I'm sure some of them would still function and fulfill the most necessary nutrient roles at 68 F versus 80 F.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on cycling a new tank for an octopus and was told to just Dr Tims with dry rock and would be fine in a few days. I thought live ocean rock would be better but curious if I run the tank at 68 and the lights would be toned down if that would be a large loss using live rock? (especially since its warmer waters that it comes from) What kind of die off should I expect and how long? Should I Dr Tims with the live rock? Was also informed to remove the rock for acclimation then replace it all afterwards so I guess I'll be setting up a rubbermaid can for a couple days for the rock. But how would you guys cycle a cold water tank with limited light?
If you decide to use bottled bacteria, Fritz Turbo Start is a better choice, especially if you need a fast cycle. A tank with Dr. Tims will NOT be ready in a few days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back