Flow Question for a Weird Tank

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm looking at some compact powerheads or wavemakers. I have a strange, tall aquarium (attached image, 250 mL Purigen bottle for scale). It's the UniQuarium tank and I plan on making it a saltwater.

I plan on having each side be somewhat separated in terms of equipment. Both sides will have their own filter (Sicce Shark PRO 900) and I plan on having the flow be different on each side. I plan on having it high flow on one side and lower flow on the other - Noted, I have an extremely low budget (under $100).

What should I do for more small sized powerheads / wavemakers? What flow constitutes as "fast" enough or "slow" enough? They don't have to be shaped like the AI Nero, but can just be small in general. I wanted to have the flow be different on each side to keep different corals and fish - some fish, inverts, etc. require and prefer higher flow while some are happier with low flow, and I'd rather not blow a blenny away somewhere between Indiana and New York with the water flow. I don't know if wavemakers would work with how tall the tank is.

20230803_190454.jpg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why 2 different filters?

Jabao makes great little pumps, but buying 2 will put you over the $100 budget.

I think the most industrious way of doing this would be "plumbing" (could do without drilling the tank) so that a return pump pulls water from side B and blasts it into side A. Side A will have high flow as directed by a nozzle (random flow generator would be best or maybe a pump with wave function) but side B will get more passive flow due to the large connecting tubes.

EDIT: could maybe do this "plumbing" off the Shark pump.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why 2 different filters?

Jabao makes great little pumps, but buying 2 will put you over the $100 budget.

I think the most industrious way of doing this would be "plumbing" (could do without drilling the tank) so that a return pump pulls water from side B and blasts it into side A. Side A will have high flow as directed by a nozzle (random flow generator would be best or maybe a pump with wave function) but side B will get more passive flow due to the large connecting tubes.

EDIT: could maybe do this "plumbing" off the Shark pump.
Don't have room for a sump. And by $100 budget, I meant $100 for a single one.

The two filters are because I don't trust one big filter to do it, the Sicce Sharks are inexpensive and high GPH, and because if I have to mess with another canister filter I might cry. (The Fluval 106 I have is breaking me.) - I was recommended on here to just do two Sicce Sharks.

I don't want to do a bunch of DIY plumbing anyway. I'm not good with that stuff and I'd really just not like to bother with attempting it. I'm especially not good at judging pipe sizes and creating my own ideas for plumbing.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the Sicce Nano Voyager 1000/2000.
Those seem pretty good and they're super cheap with decently high ratings. I would have preferred one that was controllable but I'm not too bothered by that exactly. I do like these.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't have room for a sump. And by $100 budget, I meant $100 for a single one.

The two filters are because I don't trust one big filter to do it, the Sicce Sharks are inexpensive and high GPH, and because if I have to mess with another canister filter I might cry. (The Fluval 106 I have is breaking me.) - I was recommended on here to just do two Sicce Sharks.

I don't want to do a bunch of DIY plumbing anyway. I'm not good with that stuff and I'd really just not like to bother with attempting it. I'm especially not good at judging pipe sizes and creating my own ideas for plumbing.
Not wanting to do plumbing is fair haha

Just to clarify this is what I was thinking:

1691205838265.png

Think The Jabao wave makers are $60 each so that would work for your budget.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wanting to do plumbing is fair haha

Just to clarify this is what I was thinking:

1691205838265.png

Think The Jabao wave makers are $60 each so that would work for your budget.

Ah, yeah. There are complications that come with the idea of doing it like that though - I think I'd rather have powerheads / wavemakers doing the work. I may do Jebao but I liked the Voyagers mentioned before. I just like the Jebao's low profile.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back